The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

heating question

BoostedAWD91

ive been having heating problems for awhile now ever since i got the car and i have changed heater cores once already and it still doesnt work well at all. I am replacing everything this time and this time i noticed that the previous owner left the a/c box in the car empty. I dont think it would hurt anything but do u think maybe this could be the cause of not getting hot air from the vents?

atc250r

Staff member
I don't think that will make a difference. When I worked at a Mitsu/Hyundai dealer I put plenty of A/C systems in Accents, the evaporator just gets popped into the empty space but the heat always worked fine before hand.

John

BoostedAWD91

ok i didnt think it would matter but im kinda looking into everything at this point. This will be the 3rd heater core in the car in the past 3 years. The heat is just barely luke warm coming out of the vents. It was like this when i bought the car, bought a brand new heater core and that didnt make any difference. So this time i'm replacing the entire heater core box, blower motor assembly and a/c control switch panel and cross my fingers

1941Galant

If you've already tried a couple heater cores, I'd look for your problem in a different place. After the car is warm, do the heater core hoses get hot at all? I'm wondering if the inlet or outlet is partially clogged.

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
+1

If the core is good and the system is full the only a things I can think of would be an air bound core, a restriction somewhere outside of the core, or a damper door inside the box that isn't working for some reason (cable, linkage, or temp control knob on dash).

John

curtis

something else to do is a restrictor on the outlet side of the hose a piece of round stock with a small hose or go by a junkyard and check all the 87-93 mustangs there header hose has a metal bushing with a rubber flapper in the middle. It really helps on cars that really have a hard time getting warm but the galant is always warm 2 minutes form the house so you got thermostat problems or a blocked line or something. Loosen the belts and check for water pump play they can start to go and hang the blades int eh housing and not flow well or maybe stop leak has been added at one time.

BoostedAWD91

I have checked both hoses and both are fine. It warms up normally, its not there is no heat its just not really warm like every other galant I've been in. It did seem before that my speed wasn't working perfect,like the first two speeds didn't do to much. Hopefully after I replace everything it should work better

Hope you find out the problem, that car was doing the same thing in the 90s when I had it. It would warm up much faster than the Subaru I had but the heat out the vents was luke warm. Good luck man.

Pete

BoostedAWD91

oh really, the problem goes back that far? That kind of worries me. Did all the vent doors operate correctly? I replaced everything, the heater core assembly, blower motor and a/c controls so if it still doesnt work i don't know what else to do

Did you check that flip thing in the heater box? The one that flips between varm and cold, maybe it doesn't fully close so that some of the air bypasses the heater core? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

BoostedAWD91

Yes I have changed thermostats a few times which isn't the issue. All the flappers are working correctly now. Ill see what happens tomorrow when I finish putting everything back together

SleepinGVR4

Chris its very important that all the cables are lined up and extend and retract the full length. I had to play with mine to make sure everything lined up. Before you put the glove box back in and all that sh*t, move all the levers and make sure everything is working properly.

BoostedAWD91

yeah i know, if the cables aren't routed correctly, the flappers wont open correctly or at all. This is one of the main reasons i replaced the control unit as well cause it was messed up and the flappers wouldnt stay open

Last edited:

BoostedAWD91

Yea I really hope so too. The cheap aftermarket core that isn't even 1.5 years old and bad already and pretty clogged. It should work great now. What are everyones hottest vent temps with incoming air?

I'm prety sure all the vent doors were working back then. Wait, actually I had a defunct oil press gauge in the left center vent but the other 3 were ok.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts