The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

balance shaft eliminator ????

ok so i put my bottom end together the other day and realized i forgot to put the new bearings in were the balance shaft goes im assuming this is a huge deal. I think that means i will have lowered my oil pressure since the oil can blow right through and im correct. any one help please... need to know if i need to tear this thing back down thanks

Barnes

You have to install a bearing where the front balance shaft used to be. Install it 180 degrees rotated from where it would be stock. This will block the oil hole. The rear shaft gets the oil supply for the bearing through the shaft directly through the pump, so there is no need to put a bearing back. I'm assuming you have a stub for the rear shaft correct?

what do you mean by stub i put the stub into the oil pump and i put the freeze out plug in i just did not realize that the bearings mattered untill i was reading some thing and found that there was a oil hole were i would loose pressure what stub are you referring to thanks

fivestardsm

jepherz

Staff member
If you have the engine out of the car, it isn't a huge deal. You'll have to pull the oil pump cover back off and derive a few parts to do the pressing for you.

turbophein

i hated removing and installing those bearings, i ruined both of the new ones trying to install it, i barely got the old back on, and even the old ones started separating, i barely got them on. next time i am just leaving the front shaft in. no need for new bearings or freeze plug block off, or to port oil relief, knock out and install new bearings. i think this is best and easiest way to remove the Balance shaft belt. all you need is a stubby and some gaskets

jepherz

Staff member
I think it makes it much easier if you take the time to make a few key tools to help with the process. You really have to make sure you're pressing on the bearings evenly though, I agree.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned