The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

compression issue

ok so i bought a hole motor for my vr4 and it has little to no compreessioni in number 4 kid was fed up just had motor built iwth only 300 miles and drop a cyclinder so i thought it would be an easy fix there is no blow bye no sign of bent valves do u think maybe a sticky lifter?????? please get back to me thanks

prove_it

First of all, you'll need to speak proper English to get that answered. That's what is expected of you on this forum, otherwise we can't understand you.

How was the engine rebuilt? Was it a professional build, or a backyard hack build? If you can you need to preform a leak-down test on cylinder #4, that will tell you where the air is leaking out of the cylinder. Do that and it will be much easier to figure out.

Also what are the compression numbers for all 4 cylinders?

Sorry about that. its been a while since i took the motor apart so i no longer recall the compressions. The main thing im trying to get out of this is has somone else ever had this happen. The motor was built at a shop.. The person i purchased it from spent quiet a few dollars on the build, and only had about 300 miles on it when it started running funny he did a compression test and found like 10psi in #4 when cold and next to nothing once the motor warmed up. When he gave up i purchased it figuring ahhh gota be a huge hole in the piston to have no compression but there were no holes and no blow bye past the rings. It was a 6 bolt with 2g .20 over pistons balance shaft eliminator mild head work. hope that is clearer for everyone thanks

Muskrat

Do a leak down test. Should give you a better idea of what you're dealing with.

belize1334

Getting now blow by could be a symptom that the valves on that cylinder aren't opening. You have to get air into the cylinder in order to blow it past the rings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I'd do a leak down test as suggested and then if you still haven't got it figured out pull the Valve Cover. With the VC off you can rotate the engine by hand (using the ratchet plug in the Crank Shaft Pulley) and watch to see that all the valves are moving and in the proper sequence.

Thanks for all the input guys problem is the head is already off the car it had no head gasket leak and i took it to a machine shop and they can not find anything wrong with the head no bent valves all seam to be seating head it straight opening and closing correctly and there is nothing wrong with the bottom end i gave up on this head and have recently taken all the vavles out and took them with my new head to the machinest the onlything im looking for yet is a set of 3g lifters if anyone can help or point me in the right direction thanks alot

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned