The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

"HOW TO INFO" Evo Seats installed in Vinny's car

curtis

This is my first set of evo seats to install on a galant but easiest seat brackets ever. Vinny picked these up from Garfield or should I say his cousin did 2 weeks ago.

First remove the evo brackets but not the sliders. Then the 2 individual brackets are used on the front of the seat one has to have extra metal removed and the mounting holes need to be opened up larger. The largest bracket gets the hole moved more towards the inside of the car and the smaller to the outside of the car. the largest bracket goes closest to the door. Now for the rear mount . You need one 4 ft piece of 1 inch square steel tubing. Cut to 21.5 inches 2 times. Now cut a long 60 degree angle on one end. This goes to the outside bolt in the rear. Now since the inside rear bolt hole is not centered in a perfect square use the small piece of metal you just cut as the mount for that. This has to be welded on. Now the front brackets bolt up with the stock allen head bolts the rear you install by welding two 1.5 inch wide tabs on the square bar and the bolt fall in and are secured with nuts underneath.

I didn't carry my camera over to my buddies shop where we did this but we came back over here to weld the back brackets up. They turned out OK for a rush job I didn't get over to the shop till 11:30 or so and was back here welding by 1:30. Took our time and Vinny left about 3. Easily a saturday job using the same style brackets. Having two people helps but Vinny did a timing belt job as I was fabing and taking breaks from that hold or position when I needed it. So if you buy evo seats make sure they come with the factory brackets on the sliders. This puts the seats towards the center console so you can reach to the outside and spin the recline knob and also centers the wheel on the center of the drivers chest as it should be. As for height its about 1/2 inch lower than the lowest VR4 bottom height.
I'm sure Vinny will post up this weekend after he gets back to Ga with more pictures of the mounts painted up the front mounts and interior shots etc. Just figured I'd post this up for public consumption. Enjoy

381gvr4

Curtis, you're a pimp! These are the best we've seen thus far, which comes as no surprise. Look forward to seeing the pics in the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

curtis

There really no big deal to make but does require some welding. I guess I could duplicate these and sell them but probably not that many evo seats in galant's. But if anyone wants a set PM me.

curtis

Well yea this is some type of hack job operation going on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

curtis

Maybe it was a hack job install after all. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Went over today before he loaded up on the trailer. Got measurements and saw an error in the design. To use the front brackets from the stock evo seat one rail as to be all the way back and the other moved one click forward. Being in a rush we forgot this little tidbit of information. So instead on a tab on the inside there should be a tab as a spacer and a hole through the tube but besides that everything worked out ok seats slide and are in, he's pulling them when he gets home to cut the one tab not used off and clean up align better and paint.

I have all the measurements from center of the bolt holes/ studs to the 4 seat rail mounting points all around on all 4 mounts, so if anyare ever needed I can make them without the seats here or dismantling my car any further.

CarRacer

Damn you and your excellent fabrication skills. Now I have to start looking and budgeting for Evo seats now. SSL seats are cheap right?

turbowop

Nice brackets, Curtis. Those will look great once painted or powdercoated black. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The below pic seems to reveal the awkward fitment of the rear Evo seat. I always wondered if that back seat fit as well as everybody says it does. But in that pic, you can see the raised up part of the floor that is normally hidden by our leather back seat. Maybe I'm too OCD, but I don't think I could stand to install one of those backseats with that bottom part fitting like that.

Vman911

TW,
I think your supposed to cut out those humps for locks on the factory seat. Thats what curtis said. I'm not. I'll figure out a way to get mine down. They look just like yours. besides hardly anyone rides in the rear.

From curtis pics you can see I installed H & R lowering springs and spaced out my rear tires to match the front..

Last edited:

Brunoboy

i cut the rear frame up to fit my evo seats, and they didnt even fit well, im so glad that i was able to fit the stock seats back in no problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif, but i know that for our cars we can use the Bride rails and they fit on the Evo Stock seats, My brother put Evo IX recaros into his mr2 turbo, and all we had to do, was take off the stock brackets, take off the bar to go back and forth(since the bride rails had it) and then dremel a little bit of the bride rail to match the mounting holes on the Recaro. and done. fits and looks great!.
-shane

Vman911

I Remodified curtis rails today, Cut the tab off that didn't fit right. I'm better off with the screw through the 1" tube rail for safty reasons. Got them painted and even got my seat belt catches to work. The galant seatbelt doesn't fit in the evo catch. We did off set the rails 1 click but they move back and forth with no problems.

belize1334

^^ Is that a GVR4 seat-belt bolted to the side of that seat? I'd be alot more excited about swapping a set of those seats in if I knew that I could make them work with my seat-belts. I'm not too excited about committing to a harness system for daily use.

curtis

The latch on the seat is 100% evo
Vinny just massaged the stock galant lap belt with a die grinder etc to fit. Shoulder harness doesn't have to be modded except cutting the gay little slider piece thats bolted to the factory seats theres no place to put it and it seaves really no purpose anyway.

Vman911

curtis those are my GVR4 buckles. I got them to work. They bolted right on. you can see the pics i posted they have the bracket for the belt holder.
The GVR4 buckels sit a little higher then the evo ones, but they bolted right on and work great. I even painted the button red as mine were faded.

Last edited:

curtis

Ok I see now plan got changed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4thStroke

What did you guys do about the loop that attached to the outside of the seats to guide/hold the lap belt so you dont have to reach way down to grab it?

Pictures 5 and 8 show what Im talking about in curtis's 4th post.

Man those pictures don't do the seats any justice. Like Mark posted in another thread, they're not pricure friendly lol.

curtis

Quoting 4thStroke:
What did you guys do about the loop that attached to the outside of the seats to guide/hold the lap belt so you dont have to reach way down to grab it?

Pictures 5 and 8 show what Im talking about in curtis's 4th post.

There wasn't anything really to do except leave them as is or cut up a good set of factory seats that Vinny didn't want to waste. Actually with the seat back in driving position its really not that big of a deal.

Hopefully this will get people asking you to make the brackets for them and not me anymore. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

curtis

Well I started a thread in General and so far almost 10 have signed up for a set so looks like it will be something I will build. If you want a set refer to the other thread and put your name on the list. When I first thought about doing this it was when SgtDave did his and at the time the EVo's had only been out a few years and seats were hard to find and when you did were big dollars. The prices now have fell down to reasonable levels and usually can be found with front and rear for cheaper than a set of ebay specials. So well probably be seeing alot of installs around here.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts