The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Electronic suspension 90 Galant GS

moidsm1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys,
Its been a while since Ive messed with Mitsus, But Im back in the game, Ive grown a little since my first Laser Turbo, and my family is expanding, so I went and picked up a 90 Galant GS FWD NT 4g63 with electronic suspension for pretty cheap.

I have a turbo engine ready for future so it should be a decent car by then.

Now for my question. I would like some opinions on the electronic suspension. Its in need of repair as sometimes I get a fault indication on the ECS display. Its always bottoming out too, and I dont think the car has been dropped but the car sits very low.

I would love to keep the original setup if Its feasable cost wise, Is there any way I can repair it with a kit and new shocks? Keep in mind that this system was very fundamental in the Galant winning the Japan car of the year award. Its cool to see the car lift itself up on the high setting!

Also The car has a switch in the console for sport steering, anyone know about this?

I will be posting here and on DSMTUNERS Forum, Thanks

cspetros

The power steering switch is part of the Electronic Power Steering system. It changes steering sensitivity with relation to road speed. In sport mode, power steering deactivates at a lower road speed than in normal mode. I guess this is so that you don't roll the car. You can definitely tell a difference when driving between the two modes. If you still have the car's owner's manual, there is a graph inside of it that details the speed vs. steering characteristic.

misterfixit

you'll have a leaky airbag on one of the struts. Get a normal suspension setup of a basic galant. it'll fit right on. pull the fuse on the compressor or it'll shag up in double quick time. then go through and check each of the airbags. It's wicked system when it's working, but you too will need to collect a few sets of shocks spare as new they are like $600 each new.

If you find somewhere that re airbags them then please let me know..

Rich

moidsm1

I would love to keep the system, But Im wondering if I can rebuild the struts. Im wondering if anyone has ever ordered an airbag sleeve and replaced one before, Kinda like changing a CV Boot. I could get some temporary Galant Struts for the meanwhile while I rebuild the AIr system. ANyone have any success with this?

misterfixit

Hence my comments above. the bag is a rubber over canvas thing, and its tapered so when its rolled back over itself it clears the inner band. the rings that hold it on are swaged or rolled to size and there is alot of grab on the bag.

i've stripped one down, but without swaging equipment it will not be possible to get it back together. the air spring runs at between 60 - 125 PSI so its not a small amount of pressure.

There is on place in the us that supplies aftermarket airbags and ruebuilt shocks for the bigger luxury cars, but for the galant i do not think there are any available. or there certainly wer not when i was looking.

Rich

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned