The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

MAP signal as TPS

So this is more of a discussion thread and I don't really plan on implementing it at this time. It just that I stumbled across it the other day and found it kind of interesting. Figured I'd throw it out there and see where it leads.
I was flipping through an old issue of SCC and was reading an article on turboing KA24DE. I was intrigued by how some of the tricks they used, one of whick was to switch out the TPS and replace its ECU signal with a 2 bar MAP in the manifold. 0-5V signal based on pressure allowed better control, especially when it starting to build boost, as it shows a lot more useful info between the MAF and MAP in regards to how much air is actually going into the engine. Guess I should note that they used rising rate FPR to compensate on the fuel side.
Obviously a trick like this makes sense since the factory ECU for an NA car would more prone to run lean at part throttle. My question is how well would it work compared to our factor MAS and TPS setup, or a standard MAP conversion setup like DSMap or DSMLink w/ MAP which is still used in conjunction with TPS. Since the ECU correlates airflow, throttle, and RPMs to determine which base fuel maps to use, would using a MAP as a replacement for TPS give a more accurate reference by which to pull tables? What kind of effects on low/midrange driveability would it have? Obviously it would take a lot to initially get it up and running, but it seems like it would be more accurate and intuitive to tune.

atc250r

Staff member
I'm pretty sure people have done this with a VPC set up. I can't remember where but I do remember reading about it and giving it consideration at one point. My car ran very well with the VPC set up the normal way so I decided to leave it alone.

John

jepherz

Staff member
I believe one of the ways people tune with megasquirt is by setting up the tables to RPM vs. tps, which is kinda doing the opposite.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned