The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Battery

What kind of battery are you guys running? the one I have i bought brand new and blows. I swear i crank the car 10 times and the battery is completely dead. it has 620 CCA 500 CA. Anyways What is recommended and what do you folks use? Thanks, Ashton.

jb4

Maybe the new battery is bad ? I have a Optima red top in my gvr4 and a yellow top in my gsx. Reserve capacity is more important to me than cca's.

KiNgMaRtY

I am running Duralast Yellow tops on my VR4, GSX, STi and Lexus GS400. I had an yellow top and died on me after a year and a 1/2 and warranty was over.

fivestardsm

Quoting autoFTW:
Its a brand new battery oddly, maybe 4 months old.

You know, "a brand new battery" does not really tell us anything about what you have. Maybe you could give us some more details like the brand, the size, the store it was purchased at? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

vtecds1

Always check the date of the battery before purchasing it. I learned the hard way with the marine battery I bought for my boat.

Ian M

Quoting autoFTW:
Its a brand new battery oddly, maybe 4 months old.

Are you saying you've only started the car 10 times in the 4 months it's been in the car,as in the car sits a lot? If that's the case,it sounds like something in the car is creating a draw.

Have you checked to make sure the alternator is charging?

Going by battery specs alone,the battery you have is plenty. A low relatively compression turbo motor doesn't really need a mongo CCA battery.

Warrantied the battery, It was a brand new battery when i bought it, Duralast gold. 500 CA 620 CCA 80 Reserve Piece of sh*t basically for what I have in my car. I got a new Duralast Gold today with 720 CA 930 CCA and 130 Reserve so hopefully that should do the trick! When i took the battery in it was reading 11.8 on the voltmeter, Garbage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I just used up the little guys juice lol.

fivestardsm

I too had problems with a Dura-puke battery. Same issues with it being a newer battery that took a dump.

Make sure that you check the chargeing voltage also. You may have a weak alternator. If it is not putting out over 14 volts, it has issues. Also, Thank you for the better details.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned