The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Install 264's, new lifters - can not get car to idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepyvr4

Idled fine prior to cam and lifter install - nothing else changed. simply can not get the car to hold idle. BISS out all the way, tried adding/subtracting fuel on safc, even screwed in closed throttle position switch to see 10% throttle and it simply mugs down and dies. Keydiver chip set to 1000rpm idle.

Any ideas appreciated -

Colin

sleepyvr4

no boost leaks - ran test the other day.

Olson suggested advancing CAS a little - gonna try that in a min...

steve

Are you setting the BISS properly per VFAQ?

sleepyvr4

well - if you back the thing out it will raise the idle, tighten it and you get the opposite effect. I HAVE IT BACKED OUT ALL THE WAY TO WHERE IT WILL STILL SEAL - this should result in a pretty high idle under normal circumstances. All fiac crap is gone.

Fact remains the thing idled fine and after cam install I can not get it to hold idle...

steve

Well - good thing you personally never asked or cared about driveability!

Muskrat

Quoting steveGLS:
Are you setting the BISS properly per VFAQ?

I think what he meant was, "Are you grounding the ignition timing plug and pin 10 on the diagnostic plug before you adjust the BISS?"

sleepyvr4

Quoting steveGLS:
Well - good thing you personally never asked or cared about driveability!

touche salesman - I too have an uncle...

img.php

sleepyvr4

Oh now I see how you're keeping track of me Steve - you have over 16 THOUSAND posts. Jimminy Christmas...

nice admin duties son!

now do you have any ideas for me?!?

Last edited:

Rausch

+ towardstjose

HOnestly- go back and reset following VFAQ- then start to rule things out- check timing again etc. Teh more you know is right, the less you'll have to look at /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

prove_it

Is your cam timing right?

Are you sure?

Are you positive?

**Edit: One tooth off on the intake manifold will kill the idle, one tooth off on the exhaust and the car will run, but not well and you won't have power. If the crank is off by one, it may barely start if at all. that's been my experience with timing the 4g63 and being off.

Last edited:

rgeier11

I agree with prove it. It sounds like you did the timing belt job wrong.

Garage_Defeat

Did you check ign timing with a timing light?

CP

You suck at mechanics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sleepyvr4

lmfao - you all suck.

the timing is dead on. f*** a timing light - there is no cover. it takes .5 seconds to take off the crank pulley and

WAMMO!

Timing is dead on. I don't put timing belts on wrong. Especially on this dumpster chicken - there is nothing to it.

Everything is eliminated.

THE ONLY THING THAT I CHANGED WAS THE CAMS ,and now doesn't want to idle...

Why the F would changing to 264's affect the idle? People drop 272's w/o dealing with this...

prove_it

Quoting sleepyvr4:
lmfao - you all suck.

the timing is dead on. f*** a timing light - there is no cover. it takes .5 seconds to take off the crank pulley and

WAMMO!

Timing is dead on. I don't put timing belts on wrong. Especially on this dumpster chicken - there is nothing to it.

Everything is eliminated.

THE ONLY THING THAT I CHANGED WAS THE CAMS ,and now doesn't want to idle...

Why the F would changing to 264's affect the idle? People drop 272's w/o dealing with this...

You had to have changed something. Even 272's won't completely kill an idle. Going off like this only makes it harder for you to see a simple mistake when you make one. If you believe your right at all costs you'll only miss something. I am an auto tech and I learned that lesson. Retrace your steps,

One other possiblity and in a long shot is that the lifters are not bleeding down which would hang the valves open just a tad. When you put in a bigger cam the lifters are set for the smaller cam and once installed the bigger cams can push the valves open a bit. Do a compression test and see what the results are. Check all four cylinders and post the results.

**edit: We are trying to help, and being rude will get you ignored. **

Last edited:

sleepyvr4

Hmmmm - HKS cams stamped with lift information from a reputable source (Curt Brown) - I imagine they are proper.

By the way - the timing belt was never removed when these cams were installed - one cam was installed at a time with the t belt zip tied to each cam gear.

Rausch

Intake and exhaust cams in the correct locations? (Just throwing that out there)

sleepyvr4

wow. please tell me how the hell you install them incorrectly. please. somebody? rufs? there is a slot for the cas on the intake cam. I think even CP could get that one right...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rausch

Ebo cams and regrinds were what was in my head. If you're sure they are what they are, then I gots nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/keke.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts