The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Electrical Guru's, Please Help.

EMX5636

I've been chasing down this electrical draw for over a week now. I'm drawing between .48 and .51 amps with everything off. I know it's in the IGN circuit because if I pull the 30A IGN Fuse under the hood it goes to 0A. Now I know it's supposed to pull a little through there, but general consensus is that no more than .08-.1A or so.

I have 2 AEM Gauges in the car, a sound system, a turbo timer and that's about it for wired electronics. I disconnected the radio, the turbo timer, the entire instrument cluster, un-plugged all the steering column/ign bulls**t still get the .48A or so. Pulled every interior fuse, ECM, MFI Relay, all under hood and interior relays, dimmer switch etc. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

So, can anyone in here help me to figure out where the circuit leads from that under hood fuse? Have any tips/suggestions? Having a dead battery after the car sits for 2-3 days is getting annoying! Thanks!

I assume you are referring to sub fusible link #5 in the relay box?

The manual says that it feeds the alternator S terminal, and the ignition switch. With the ignition OFF the alternator should be the only thing in the circuit, from what I see. Try unplugging it.

EMX5636

Jeff, You are exactly right! I wasn't reading the diagram right. I disconnected the plug at the alternator and it dropped to 0A. Now my next dilemma... I was reading and learned that sometimes the diodes can stay on in the alternator. Do you think it's an alternator problem, or a harness problem? I do have a Saturn Alternator, and did the wiring the way numerous others have suggested.

Thanks a ton Jeff, now I at least have a single circuit or component at fault.

EMX5636

It actually wasn't the alternator. I figured it was as well. There was a bad wire connection about 6" after the alternator plug. I re-did my GM plug, and found it a couple inches past that where it looks to have been previously repaired. Thanks Jeff.

MitchooO

um not to thread jack? but a saturn alternator? i havent heard of this and am very curious... lol

curtis

Quoting MitchooO:
um not to thread jack? but a saturn alternator? i havent heard of this and am very curious... lol

Do a search theres a few write ups on the subject, I went a different route and put a subaru one on mine but now is on raptorreed's steed.

solidviper89

There's a thread somewhere let me search for it.

edit: found curtis threadclicky took me 10secs to find it in search, "+alternator -re:" without quotes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned