The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help removing rear axles

RedTwo

Is there a super secret method to remove the axles from the diff? (photo attached to clarify which bit I call an axle)
I've tried yelling at it, spitting on it, swearing at it.... nothing works! I remember it being really easy to remove last time - but that axle had exploded into several pieces that time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Would something like a tie rod splitter help?

4thStroke

When spitting, yelling, and cursing dont work, you may need to get physical with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used a large flathead screwdriver and twist it arounf a bit.

curtis

Place a large pry bar on the side of the diff housing and push against the axle joint area and use the diff for leverage. Apply pressure then smack the pry bar with your other hand. It will pop right out.

bazeng

It should pop out quite easily..

I find that using a wide flat screw driver or pry bar while twisting works well..
If you have room like you do, just lever it against the cup (green bit) and the housing.

prove_it

You may need to try using two prybars, one on each side so it pulls on the axle in a more uniform direction. One prybar will "cock" the axle to one side and it may cause binding. That trick and the B.F.H and B.F.P.B work.

RedTwo

Yeah, you can just see the end of the wrecking bar in the photo - It keeps slipping off the green axle 'cup', you know because it's round and not very co-operative. I can get a small screw driver into the gap between the oil seal/diff and the shaft but that's about it.
I thought these things had cir-clips on them but there's not room to possibly fit/remove one.
So it's a case of just force it? Bugger, I hope this works and gets easier because I've got 6 axles to pull out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

It will pop out with a pry bar, when I did mine it didn't take much to pry it out.

Dialcaliper

If you use the straight end of a hooked crowbar and angle it across the front of the housing in a way that prevents if from slipping sideways, and keeps it lined up straight (a block of wood as a fulcrum might help), and then just bop the bar on the hook (towards the axle cup, not just a prying motion) it will slip right out.

It doesn't actually take much force, you just have to apply it in the exact direction without letting the bar slip off the cup. Forcing it in the wrong direction will make the circlip jam up and prevent it from coming out no matter how hard you hit it. Wrapping something soft like a rag or sticky like duct tape around the end of the prybar might help.

Quoting RedTwo:
Yeah, you can just see the end of the wrecking bar in the photo - It keeps slipping off the green axle 'cup', you know because it's round and not very co-operative. I can get a small screw driver into the gap between the oil seal/diff and the shaft but that's about it.
I thought these things had cir-clips on them but there's not room to possibly fit/remove one.
So it's a case of just force it? Bugger, I hope this works and gets easier because I've got 6 axles to pull out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

RedTwo

Excellent, all done.
I found that wrapping some sandpaper (sanding side out) around the end of pry bar helped keep it in place. Using the lumps where the diff cover bolts enter the diff housing as the fulcrum I would pry out a bit and then turn the axle 180* and pry again, then pull out the axle by hand.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned