The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

is it a cyclone?

today i was walking through a local junkyard an came acrossed a 91 galant vr4. i have always been into dsms, but never looked into the galants. so i opened the hood an the complete motor was in the car engine an tranny. as far as i could see the motor looked to be whole, an body was lightly hit in the rear nothing major. did i find gold? another question is it had a orangish valve cover. being into dsms the first thing that poppd into mind was a cyclone? or do all vr4s come with the painted valve cover? basically a newbie to the vr4 world. any info b4 i decide to buy this thing outa a scrap yard will go far.

1941Galant

Does it say cyclone on the intake manifold? All VR4s came with a red valve cover, which probably can turn orange over the years. If the body is in nice condition, it is mostly complete, and it is relatively inexpensive, I don't think it would be a bad idea to pick it up.

Edit for clarification: VR4s in the U.S. did not come with the cyclone engine from the factory, however some people have swapped the engine in (nothing different other than the intake manifold, turbo, and injectors, IIRC), so it's possible to find a cyclone engine in a VR4, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

fivestardsm

Son of a biach, another in the yard!

CAn you go back and get all the info off the car, i.e. VIN # and the badge #. Also, grab the Badge if it is still there. If you could also, snap a pic or two of the entire car so I can put it in my file.

Thanks.

well buying the car im thinking will be dirt cheap. my idea was to sell the car as a part out. is there any money in it? i have a mr2 turbo project under way, i dont think starting a vr4 project is in my budget right now.

yea im heading back to that yard tomorrow. what do u mean by badge number. i can get pics an everything, are u intrested in a purchase?

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting toyotwo91:
well buying the car im thinking will be dirt cheap. my idea was to sell the car as a part out. is there any money in it? i have a mr2 turbo project under way, i dont think starting a vr4 project is in my budget right now.

Of course there is money in parting out any vehicle, however, there has been a fairly substantial number of part outs on here recently. I wonder if the parts market is saturated at the moment.

With your DSM experience, I'd suggest fixing it and selling it as a runner. Odds are it needs the ECU recapped, probably ate a timing belt or something stupid... could fix it on a weekend and you'll have a quick winter beater.

656of1000

^^ Agreed. There's no reason to send another VR4 to the crusher- especially when it's basically complete. A beat up shell I could see crushing, but not this one. Snarf it up while you still can!

KiNgMaRtY

I say save it! Worst case someone can come take it off your hands for more than yo paid for it

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned