The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

whats this part called?

Brunoboy

Under the fuel injectors,there are black (Plastic?) things that go into the head for them to sit in,and its not the o rings, would you call these Injector Seals? anyways, can someone tell me what they are called, and where I can get a set, or even just one, maybe a part number?, I just pulled the motor on 352/1000 last night, and one was cracked, so I need to get another one. Thanks
-Shane

deez

it sounds like you are talking the injector seals

Last edited:

Brunoboy

Yha it's not he o rings, it's under it.the black piece that let's it rest into the motor, but it's like hard plastic bayberry rubber not sure off the top of my head

steve

You're talking about the isolator, and its not supposed to be hard plastic, its supposed to be rubber. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

click

The somewhat hard black rubber ones that slide over the injector tips and go between the injectors and manifold are are technically isolators I believe but most ppl call them seals. They seem fairly universal. One of mine was cracked so I took one off of a 240sx injector I had laying around.

Brunoboy

Thanks guys, there are supposed to be four of them right? One per injector?, and are they expensive?
-Shane

grocery_getter

They started out life as soft rubber but after a while the heat from the head turns them into hard plastic like button. When they harden they would usually also started leaking boost and vacuum. So definitely make sure that the rubber isolators are always nice and soft for best seals.

Agree. #1 injector on my car is leaking so badly I've just been lazy to pull the rail off & change them. I've had the new ones for ~3 mths now. I guess it's because I haven't driven the car in a while so it's not a big deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wizardawd

Speaking of which, has anyone tried to make something more universal to replace these with? I mean $1.50-$3 times 4 gets annoyingly pricey with multiple 4G63s and not to mention you have to order the stupid things. Surely someone has an idea of some kind of hose or something that can be cut up to use. I mean, it's just a rubber seal that needs to have a similar inner and outer diameter. And maybe something not rubber to extend the life?

Wiz

fivestardsm

I belive that the evo's have viton, dont they? I used the evo ones that came with my injectors.

Terry Posten

Just buy extras and keep them handy. If your worried about spending $10 to keep a spare set in the garage, BUY A HONDA.

I have had to change one at DM meet a few years back. Car started to idle really poor and was SUPER lean at idle and high vac crusing. Ryan Hertz had a few new ones in the back of his car and let me have one. Saved my bacon.

Thanks Ryan.

Wizardawd

My point, Terry, is that they are way overpriced, fail too often and are easily lost. And of course, only the dealer has them and never in stock. I'm more than willing to buy a much more expensive set if they can last longer and not get so hard and brittle after a whopping 10k miles. Surely the rocket-science crew has some ideas.

And I never said I didn't have extras.

Wiz

Napa sells these in a "kit" that includes the o-ring the upper spacer and the isolator and the plastic shroud, for around $5. I just bought four kits the other day and was pleasantly surprised with the deal. Item#: ATM200400

StarionESIR

I remember seeing somewhere that someone fabbed up a set from Home Depot Racing parts. I believe they used faucet seals. Kinda ghetto but I guess if it works... Try to Google it since im lazy.

Terry Posten

I'm sorry guys but do you realize what you are trying to "fab" up?

I can't believe ANYONE would consider using parts on a high pressure, high temperature fuel system that is not designed for that application.

I have seen too many fuel fires to even think twice about paying the tiny amount extra for factory quality parts.

All I am going to say is good luck and make sure you tell me that something is rigged before I agree to take a ride with you.

Polish

Quoting Terry Posten:
If your worried about spending $10 to keep a spare set in the garage, BUY A HONDA.

Says the man who put rice stickers on his brand new Ralliart.

I'm sick of the Honda hate on this board, get over yourself.

However to get back on topic I will agree, just buy OEM seals or at least the kit from Autozone if they are of equal quality. Unless of course you can come up with some sort of solution that is made of an even better material like Ryan suggested.

I would have let it go as a joke but the caps lock indicates it's not. And I know it's a Mitsu board but still man, it's childish.

Lonewolf64

I don't think it's hating on Honda to make such a recommendation. I'm a Honda owner and fan myself, and I would make the same recommendation to people who aren't fit to seriously modify a car. It's really damn hard to mess up a Honda to the point of catastrophic failure, so it's a popular suggestion to tell newbs to "get a HONDA".

I think Hondas are great little cars that happen to be some of the most reliable rides out there, and are incredibly tolerable of retarded mods.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts