The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2G Head w/ intake mani install- now whooshes loudly boosting

sleepyvr4

This thing sounds like the Polar Easterlies exist under the hood when I build boost. It has me paranoid - Car has plenty of vacuum. checking all couplers (brand new sbr fmic w/ t bolt everything and piping) - tb isn't leaking. Just wanted someone to confirm that a 2g intake mani sounds like this...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Barnes

Have you done an actual boost leak test?

sleepyvr4

Lol - I gotta get a soundclip of this thing. It sounds so effin funny it's like a video game...

Polish

Fwiw the Cyclone manifold causes spool noise to increase tremendously when connected properly. (At least on my old setup) I ran before/after quite a few times with it functioning and just leaving all 8 runners open and it is VERY noticeable in power, spool, and especially intake noise.

I expect my new one to have the same result. So it's possible the smaller intake has more velocity (If that is the right word? either way you get the point) and causes much more spool/turbo noise than you're used to.

Last edited:

Terry Posten

Did you buy the "Super-ricer" 2G DSM intake from OBX racing for that ubertastic 200whp/200wtq upgrade? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Just bustin ballz, in that sort of mood tonight.

It's got to be a leak. Do you have a EGR block-off plate installed.

sleepyvr4

I wish Terry - didn't know it was available in the northeast yet. Stuck til evoIII mafinold gets here. It's really funny sounding - like Santa is in the sleigh beside you - minus the clumping reindeer meathooks...

fivestardsm

Quoting Terry Posten:

Just bustin ballz, i'm that sort of mod tonight.

Fixed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sleepyvr4

Hmmmmm - prob egr block. the damn thing was leaking when I pressure washed the im - I put rtv on both sides of gasket but I guess I'll have to jb weld that ninja...

sleepyvr4

boost leak test today - leaks around couplers and vacuum plugs on tb. egr gasket was already replaced. still whooshed. car dies off at 5500 badly - getting rid of 2g intake mani asap

Barnes

Did you put this on a 1g head?

JSchleim18

Interested to see how this works out for you. I'm looking to put a 2G head on my car and I have an Evo III intake manifold that I can't wait to try out

sleepyvr4

I know another guy with 2g head and mani and he said the same thing - simply dies up in the r's. He's got smim on the way - I hope to jebus evoIII gets here today cause track is open tomorrow...

JSchleim18

Any way you can get to a dyno to do a couple of pulls with the 2G intake manifold and then switch to the Evo III manifold and check the results?

sleepyvr4

I would love to do dyno comparison - EvoIII vs 2G vs SMIM may happen this winter. I'm pretty cool with Nate Silveri - he's the tuning instructor at Wyotec (formerly with Slowboy) - will notify if potential...

JSchleim18

He posted up results from a 1G/GVR-4 head to a 2G head. I wanna see a stock 2G manifold vs and Evo III manifold and an SMIM.

He never posted his dyno graphs either...

CutlassJim

My 2G head with a stock 2G intake manifold and 264/EvoVIII cams ripped from 5K up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I do have an Evo II intake manifold that is going on when I put the car back together though.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned