The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

steering rack. please confirm.

ercp98

first off, i did search. i just need confirmation. basically, point me to the correct one to order with out any doubt.
i am replacing my steering rack for the vr4. i am keeping / restoring my power steering and removing the 4ws in the process.
so, i found that people have used 1g awd eclipse power steering rack as replacement
when they removed the 4ws. is this correct or can i used the fwd power steering rack
off the the 1g eclipse too? what about the same year fwd galant, can i use that? i read about the differences
in turning ratios between the steering racks. that is not really a concern for me. i just need it as close to the the stock rack of the vr4 and have power steering again. i also asked about the other racks because of price. there is 60 dollar difference between the fwd rack to the awd rack from what i have checked out.
point me to a website or ebay link (cheap).
thanks in advance.

fivestardsm

The racks are the same on all of them as far as mounting them in the car. The difference is in the ratio on them.

This is right out of my chrysler parts book:

MB86 1224 FWD 1990-1992
MB86 1224 AWD 1990
MB86 1125 AWD 1991-1992/1993-1994
MB86 1224 w/o TURBO
MB86 1124 w/Turbo, w/Man. Trans
MB86 1125 w/Turbo, w/Auto. Trans

dmj

Not to hijack this thread but which rack has the best ratio for performance oriented drivers?

ercp98

follow up and a question,

i finished installing the eclipse power steering rack. it has now 3 turns lock to lock.
can't complain. it just feels good to have power steering again.

now my question,

is it ok to just leave the 4ws gear in the stock 3 bolt with out fluid going into it?
i just capped the lines going and coming out of it. i know i read something about cutting it off but i can't find it.
i did not have time to swap the 3 bolt lsd this weekend. i needed the car running again for monday.

thanks in advance.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts