The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Improper countersink on Fidanza Friction Plate

belize1334

I was cleaning up my new_to_me Fidanza FlyWheel when I noticed that a few of the surface fasteners appear to have been scraped by the friction disk from the previous installation. I took these pictures to illustrate the point.

Here's an image of one of the good fasteners. Notice that it sits a few millimeters below the friction surface.

Compare that to this image of the improperly counter-sunk hole. Notice that the fastener is flush with the surface and has been scraped by the passing puck.

The scrapes on the screw head don't line up with those on the surface but that's because I pulled the screw out and then reassembled it. I was looking for debris stuck under the screw head which would keep it from fully seating. Unfortunately, the underside was nice and clean and that's as far down as it can sit. There are a few other holes like this but they're not as bad and they're all grouped around the same place. I think that the disk may not have been level when the holes were drilled and that some are not deep enough as a result. Note also that the deeper hole is also wider which is consistent with using the same counter-sinking bit and not pressing it deep enough.

I seems clear to me that this is a manufacturer's defect. I'm thinking maybe I can get Fidanza to issue an RGA but since I didn't buy the piece new they may give me some grief. It also occurs to me that I could get a machinist to chase those holes so that the fasteners sit properly. I know a machinist so this would be free vs. the $50 to buy a new surface from summit. What do you guys think?

Brianawd

You could have fixed like you said. If it was me I would just spend the $50 for a new friction surface. That way you know your getting a nice new flat surface for the new clutch disc.

belize1334

^^ Which I would prefer... but if Fidanza will replace it that'd be even better. What do you think are the chances that they'd look at the pics and take my word for it?

Brianawd

I rally don't know. Give them a call and see what they say. Also if you have one of the older flywheels, they changed the bolt pattern for the flywheel and friction surface. If you have the older one then you can't get a new surface. But you will get a new flywheel for the cost of the friction surface. Thats what they told my friend when he called to get a new friction surface.

fivestardsm

That is good to know Brian. I might have to check into that because I have an older one as-well.

Also I definetly agree with just replacing the friction surface no matter if you buy it, or they warranty it. From the looks of it, it was probably warped anyway. I haven't pulled one a part yet that didn't have atleast some minor sway to it.

belize1334

Is there a simple way to distinguish the old style from the new?

Brianawd

Quote:
Is there a simple way to distinguish the old style from the new

That is a good question. I will have to do some searching.

Edit: Your going to have to call Fidanza and give them the part # as I can't find any info at this time

Last edited:

RayH

Old style has less bolts in the friction plate compared to new, I think it was something like 18 old vs 20 new.

fivestardsm

+1^^ Count your screws that hold the friction plate on. Also, I just found this one with 18 holes for a pretty cheap price. click

belize1334

Just counted; 18 bolts. So I'll contact Fidanza tomorrow and see what they'll do and if I get brushed off I'll make use of that link.

Struc

I think I have a brand new old-style friction surface laying around. I'd sell it for cheap if you don't get what you want out of them.

belize1334

Update: I talked to the tech support guy at Fidanza and I must say, he was VERY helpful.

1) He informed me that the 18-bolt pattern is NEW and the 20-bolt pattern is OLD so ... now we have that straight.

2) I described the problem and offered to send him pictures to document it. I also offered to mail the surface back in for inspection. He declined both offers and issued an immediate RGA (though I'm not sure the term is applicable since he instructed me NOT to return the old surface). He took my info and said that a new friction kit will ship today and should arrive by the end of the week.

I'll post and update when it shows up.

CarRacer

That's excellent service from them. Nice to hear.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts