The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stepper motor replacement

deez

I was just looking into the procedure to replacing the ISC or stepper motor, which I plan on doing tomorrow, and in the manual all I can find are testing procedures. Is there anything that needs to be done other than taking out the old one and putting in the new one? I thought somewhere I read about also resetting the BISS somehow as well.

turbowop

Just pull the old one off and install the new one. I don't know if it's necessary or not but I always go through the BISS/idle adjustment procedure just to zero the ISC in its range when I pull mine off for whatever reason.

atc250r

Staff member
What wop said.

fivestardsm

Quoting deez:
I was just looking into the procedure to replacing the ISC or stepper motor, which I plan on doing tomorrow, and in the manual all I can find are testing procedures. Is there anything that needs to be done other than taking out the old one and putting in the new one? I thought somewhere I read about also resetting the BISS somehow as well.

The reason that people say that you need to reset the biss, is because most people will screw with it to try and smooth thier idle out. Just check to make sure your idle is at around 800 - 1100 RPM. I think that factory setting is 850 or 950 RPM, but some like it a little higher.

turbowop

Regardless of what you set the idle to via the BISS, the ecu will control the idle at whatever it's set for within the eprom chip. The BISS needs to be set to whatever idle speed the chip is setup for. Trying to adjust it up or down is useless, as you're just fighting with the ecu and is a good way to cause idle surge.

deez

easy enough, thanks!

toybreaker

iconoclast
What they all said. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If this is a new iac unit just bolt it in, reset the shitarree as per the v-faq, and you're good to go. Take your time, do it right, and the results are very satisfying. A logger really speeds up the proccess, and allows you to verify the iac command and control and the iac operation itself are up to spec.

For a quick post repair operational check, after you're done, give the steering a small turn, and watch for a ~10 count increase in the iac count, and watch for an idle rpm sag.

If this is a used iac you're installing, you must check the coil resistances before allowing the used iac within 10 feet of your car!

Failure to do so may result in a fragged ecu/collaterall damage if one of the coils is shorted.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned