The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g ecu with dsm link. something i want to try

chrisb33

hi guys,

i have a 2g ecu with dsmlink. as you all know, the v2 dsmlink on a 2g ecu resets and erases your settings whenever the battery goes down or unplugged. is there a way for me to give the ecu a back up power when battery is unplugged? i know upgrading to v3 is the way to go, but im not running gm maf and i dont see right now why i have to upgrade from v2 to v3.

thanks in advance.

chris b

prove_it

Contact Eculink and buy the "memory board". It puts in between the eeprom and socket and keeps everything in memory. Yea they have a solution, they are some clever monkeys.

**edit: also pull up a wiring diagram and check the constant 12V power to the ecu. If this is bad could be a fuse blown or bad wire. This will reset the ecu everytime you shut power off.**

Last edited:

chrisb33

those memory boards are available only on 1g ecu's. mine is a 2g ecu. no solution but to get a v3 from them that already comes with a memory board. i already contacted them.

my ecu is fine when i turn off the ignition. it's only when i take of the battery that resets my settings. otherwise everything is fine.

chris b

The ECU only draws a couple milliamps on the battery backup, or maybe it was microamps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Either way, you could easily rig something with an extra 12 volt backup battery source. Or, if you know someone good with electronics you could do it internally at the 5 volt level the CPU needs. 3 AA batteries like the old computers used would probably work.

prove_it

Are you plugging a 2g comp with v2 into the GVR4? If so the wiring maybe different, which is why it is reseting. Under normal conditions it should not do that.

chrisb33

@ prove_it: yes, it's already plugged in for 3 years now. had to do major rewiring but runs and functions perfectly. like i said the v2 on 2g ecu's really resets when you take out the battery. when you turn off the engine it DOESNT reset. it's only when you take off the battery or change batteries.

2g ecu mated with v2 chip really resets whenever you take out the battery. only the 1g/v2 combination or the 2g/v3 combination has that memory board that stores all your settings even if your battery is disconnected.

believe me, the 2g/v2 feature is where the problem lies not in the wiring.

chrisb33

Quoting keydiver:
The ECU only draws a couple milliamps on the battery backup, or maybe it was microamps? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Either way, you could easily rig something with an extra 12 volt backup battery source. Or, if you know someone good with electronics you could do it internally at the 5 volt level the CPU needs. 3 AA batteries like the old computers used would probably work.

thanks keydiver, should the battery system be rechargeable?

i know people who are good with electronics, but they would need some sort of diagram to make it happen. do you mind sketching a diagram for me? where to tap internally?

sad to say i suck at electronics.

chris b

Last edited:

prove_it

You can always pick up a cheap battery saver. It plugs into the cigarette lighter and powers your car so you can take the battery out without losing anything.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts