The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Decent clutch disc? (any puck or unsprung exprnce chime in)

sleepyvr4

running stock setup now - already had it apart. few miles on oem, replaced by previous owner - not sure if flywheel was machined - could be cause of slippage. Disc, fly & pp in perfect condition - no glaze.

can't do 1-2 shift @15psi w/o slippage into 2nd

cheap and local solutions:

6 puck unsprung and act chromoly for $150

or

6 puck sprung for $110 (keep stock fly)

money has become an issue - and so has time.

1 month left to go to track. gonna check flywheel step when I get it apart.

BoostedAWD91

i would replace the pressure plate and clutch disc together. for a pretty stock car a act 2100 with a street disc would do you fine. i know some people hate act clutches but ive used the 2600 for years and has yet to fail me or give me problems

GreenGSX

Keep the stock flywheel and get a used 2100 pressure plate and a new 2G Mitsu clutch disk. That's about the cheapest way to get an upgraded clutch other then to get a good used disk with the 2100 PP.

I disagree. Ive been using 6puck unsprung disks for a few years and have no problems whatsoever driving them around smoothly.

Quoting 496of2000:
A unsprung and act chromoly will cause alot of chatter for street driving.

Chatter has nothing to do with whether the disc is sprung or not, and even less relevance to whether the flywheel is chromemoly, aluminum, cast iron, gray iron or not. Chatter is related to the friction material, the amount of marcel used on a organic disc and a few other factors.

The use of a sprung disc is recommended on a street car for softer engagement (which is not related to chatter) and reduced wear on the input shaft on the car.

Daryl

Quoting GreenGSX:
Keep the stock flywheel and get a used 2100 pressure plate and a new 2G Mitsu clutch disk. That's about the cheapest way to get an upgraded clutch other then to get a good used disk with the 2100 PP.

It's also a good way to increase the liklihood of having a disengagement problem with the thicker OEM disc. Yes I know it's been done before but it increases the chances. The ACT disc uses less marcel than the OE unit and is therefore thicker.

Daryl

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned