The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

CV axle nuts help?

Lancer99

Ok my dad is out of town for a week and hes 91 eclipse gsx has been sitting in the back yard for more than a year. Anyways Im taking out the motor and trans but Im stuck on trying to get off the cv axle nuts and I have an impact gun but its not comming off, I think because my air compressor is a small one and doesnt have enough pressure but I do let it go up to a 100psi. So my question to you guys any advice on getting those suckers off, Already tried having someone hold the brakes as I turned but they still spin? Also lost my job last week so dont have money to buy a new stonger air compressor.

Rob

belize1334

Go to your local auto-tool supplier and get a good long breaker bar. While you're at it you'll want one of those black impact sockets cause the regular half-inch ratchet sockets will split on you. Air tools are great for hard to reach stuff but for axle nuts I think the breaker bar is the way to go. Also, get some PB blaster and soak it down every few hours for about a day. That'll help break the rust loose.

chucklesas

If it's still full weight with the brakes installed the way I do it is to put a screwdriver in the brake disc veins, rotate the disc until the screwdriver contacts the brake caliper. Then I use a jack and the breaker bar and jack up the breaker bar until the nut starts to spin. That should loosen it up enough to just use a half inch rachet or the breaker bar to rotate the nut off (without the jack).

Barnes

Or.... You could just leave the half shafts in and still pull the engine and tranny. Unless you need to get them out for some other reason, I'd just do that.

prove_it

The warning here is that if the nuts are rusted on that bad then there is a chance the axles will be rusted to the hubs. It happens on old T/E/l's. Only way to fix it is to replace the whole assembly. If you get the nuts off, but can't get the axle to budge out of the hub, just give up and rip the axle boots and pull the axles apart when you pull the engine.

Lancer99

I got it already, I just rented a a really nice air compressor and they came off in like 30 seconds and no the axles came right out too with just a light tap on the ends and same from them coming out of the trans.

Rob

prove_it

Good to hear. So why you pulling the engine?

fivestardsm

Quoting prove_it:
The warning here is that if the nuts are rusted on that bad then there is a chance the axles will be rusted to the hubs. It happens on old T/E/l's. Only way to fix it is to replace the whole assembly. If you get the nuts off, but can't get the axle to budge out of the hub, just give up and rip the axle boots and pull the axles apart when you pull the engine.

I must be in a disagreeing mood today! (no offence)

As for the nuts, even a little bit of heat from a propane torce will help tremenously! Although, you have to be carefull to keep your heat transfer to a minimum. If not, you can weaken and ruin the bearings. If you heat it up and then dump some water on it to cool it down, this will "Shock" the rust and make it come off easier. This is a good way to keep your heat transfer to a minimum, but its a little messy sometimes. I just put a 5 gallon bucket under it to catch most of the water.

I have aslo removed a bunch of axles that were completely rusted in the hub. BUT, it wasn't as easy as just tapping on it. I have an axle/hub bearing press which makes it easier to do. You can get them still, and I belive that the local Autozone has them here on their loan a tool program.

prove_it

You can get them out, but I usally just spend 40 bucks on some salvage units and save myself the time.

That brings me to a really really good tip for all newbies, when you remove your axles put some antiseize on the axles in the hubs. Prevent the problem from happening. I always add some for safe measure.

:to fivestardsm
Thank you for disagreeing. That's how we all learn more and become better. Keep up the good work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lancer99

Why its because the trans never came out of gear. Everytime you started the car it would move and you couldnt get into netural. I have a 2gen trans laying around and thinking of putting that in has anyone ever done that before? Any parts that I have to switch over? I know for the trans mount isnt the same.

fivestardsm

This may help you guys out if you want to watch. I know that the issue at hand in this thread has already been solved but it happens to alot of us. I had to end up doing what I was talking about. Damn you guys!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

click

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned