The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head Gasket Help

The build up of 1947 has been nothing but two steps forward and one step back. I have now replaced a bad turbo with a new turbo and on my first boosted run disaster strikes. Blew a head gasket. I haven't pulled it apart yet but I had a few questions regarding head gaskets /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif:

1: Is there a difference in quality between factory and aftermarket MLS head gaskets
2: It there a difference between a 3 layer and 4 layer gasket
3: do they need to be ordered with the correct bore size mine is oversized
4: Are ebay MLS head gaskets just as bad as every other knock off you get what you pay for i.e. click
5: Has anyone ever recieved a defective gasket? I got the ebay special rebuild kit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Before I get flamed, I know that I need to check the head to see if its warped, i know the block isn't. I reused the stock head bolts /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif ,I think this time aroung I'll use ARP hardware, but the stock head bolts looked great with no signs of streaching.

On another note... where is the best place to tie into for my boost gauge, i thought the BOV vacuum like was a great place to T into but the gauge would only show like 8-9 psi no matter how I adjusted the MBC... and since we are on that subject, I also bought a turbonetics MBC and the instructions were for an external waste gate. I hooked it up how the factory would have been, waste gate on the inlet side, air filter on the outlet side.

Anyways, thanks for reading, please let me know....

Add a little more:

The block just came back from the machine shop, the head I never checked. I don't think the lack of boost is a leak issue, my data logger only showed 1456hz peak from my MAF sensor.

Last edited by a moderator:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Buy the mls from from jnztuning or exremepsi and don't bother with that ebay crap.
Take the head to a machine shop and have them check it. If you can have the blocked checked out too. My car barely overheated and I thought the block was fine but it was pretty bad.
Go with the ARP, they are not expensive and you can reuse them.
You can tap into the P port on the throttle bosy for the bosst gauge.

Run a boost leak test to see why its only running 9psi

what about the MBC hose routing? Definatly going with arp head studs... what about the head gasket: is aftermarket better than stock?

edit:
this answered my question, amazing what you can find here when you search for the same thing 5 different ways how to install MBC

Last edited by a moderator:

prove_it

I've used cometic head gaskets with good luck. Also yes you have to order the gaskets with two specs in mind. There are various thicknesses of gaskets and bore sizes. You'll need to know both. If you haven't shaved the head or block then a stock thickness will do, if either has been cut then you'll need a thicker gasket. When you call it in the guys at extremepsi can help a lot with that.
There have been several write-ups on this topic lately, search "head gasket". There are a couple recent threads dealing with cleaning, prep and use of sprays. I would pick up a straight edge and check the block yourself, I think it will be ok since you didn't heat it up too hot, but the head might have.
Do not under any circumstance reuse your stock head bolts. They have stretched and are weaker. You'll never see that, but they are. When you install the ARP's be sure to use the moly lube on BOTH sides of the threads and be sure the holes are clean and dry. Also after your first start and warm-up be sure to check the torque on them again. They will be a bit loose.

dude im in the same situation, i just went to check my spark plugs and i noticed the gasget was hanging inside where the plug is at, im gunna take off the cam cover and look at the reast of them.

prove_it

Are you referring to the valve cover tube seal, or the head gasket? I hope you are looking at the tube seal.

the tube seal, i only checked one so far, but im just gunna change all of them and get some new spark plugs, any good seggestions?

omertaitalia

Prove it, what's your opinion if you blow a headgasket with arp's on already, would you still replace the headstuds becauase of possible stretch?

prove_it

It wouldn't hurt, but I'd look into why the gasket failed in the first place. Start a new thread and we can help you figure out the failure.

omertaitalia

I was just wondering it's my built tt350z, I just blew a headgasket now I'm buying the parts I need then I'm just gonna take it to a shop

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned