The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4 bolt swap, do i need to remove the RWS?

turbophein

well i just got my 4-bolt and started removing the 3-bolt in the galant, man is it tight in there for the top 2 bolts, do i need to remove the steering rack in the back to install this 4-bolt, or just suffer through the top 2 bolts and get-r done.

thanks

656of1000

Unless you plan on swapping the 4 bolt guts into the 3 bolt case, the rear rack is going to be useless, so you might as well ditch it while you're in there.

In my opinion, it was a much easier job to swap the 4-bolt stuff into the 3-bolt 4WS diff. I guess a lot depends on what condition your 4WS lines are in, and how much you want to keep the 4WS. If you just drop the LSD into your 3-bolt diff the 4WS won't work because there isn't anything there to still drive the pump on top. You need to either press the bronze drive gear off the old diff, or just buy one from a dealer. I think it was ~$25 from JNZ Tuning. I did a writeup at one time, but I think it was lost in one of the server crashes. I even gave the part number for the roll pin and new bearing that I recommended you also replace. The actual diff is the same dimensions, so there is no performance or reliability reason to replace it. You just swap in the LSD diff, slide in the new LSD axles, and bolt on the 4-bolt hubs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned