The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trans Issues (Weird Noises in 2nd gear)

NYC86ZC

So 761 has been taking on the role of DD very well for the past year with 196k original miles on it AFAIK. I dont beat on the car, it's completely stock and none of the gears grind. I basically take it to and from the train station and around town. Although last week i took it up to Mystic, CT on a 3 hour trip. About 3 days ago I've noticed a faint scratching/grinding sound while in second gear and accelerating. The best description of the sound is that it sounds like horses galloping down a street. It doesnt happen when i'm third gear at the same speed or when i have the clutch pedal pressed to the floor. It also doesnt happen when on decel in second gear. For the past three days it has been getting worse/louder and now i can faintly hear it starting to make the noise in first gear on accel. Tranny fluid looks good along with the transfer case fluid.

Obvioulsy I'm thinnking tranny rebuild. Anyone have a clue what's going on in there?
TIA

spoulson

Could be the top bearing on the intermediate shaft being pitted and makes noises under lateral load. If so, you probably won't find much of any shrapnel in the fluid. Sounds like a rebuild to me.

196k is amazing for an original transmission! Mine ate 2nd gear by around 110k.

656of1000

^ +1

Does the shifter move while you drive? If it does, hopefully you can get a rebuild before the gears start grinding into the case!

Barnes

Quoting spoulson:
Could be the top bearing on the intermediate shaft being pitted and makes noises

Pretty much what I was thinking.

NYC86ZC

Thanks for the info guys. I picked up an engine and tranny last night, so it looks like i'll just be doing a little swap. Now i'll have a nice little winter project; to rebuild the engine. I'm still a bit hesitant to crack open a tranny so that'll go to a local dsm tranny rebuilder for my spare.

The shifter does move a little bit, but nothing out of the ordinary. One other thing the car has been doing since i got it has been a horrible virbration throughout the entire car at low rpms. I always thought it was just a bad mount, but possibly it's the tranny too.

Last edited:

NYC86ZC

Ok, I lied. I *drained* the tranny fluid this time instead of just dipping my finger in the fill hole and looking at it. It came out looking like liquid silver. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Hopefully the case is still good, but doubtful.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned