The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Stoutnes of stock GGSX auto trans

I hope this isn't bad form, posting 2 topics in a row as a n00b to your board. Before I buy a donor car for my swap, I figure it doesn't hurt to see if anyone has quantitatively assessed the strength of a GGSX auto trans. I ask because I could certainly stretch my budget farther loading up a better quality 4g63t longblock onto the existing platform as it sits.

Thanks

T

CutlassJim

I'm gonna say its the same stoutness as any Sirius series auto, I.E. DSM auto transmission. And I KNOW you have experience with those.

Thanks Jim. If that's true you've made my day. I don't intend to exceed 300awhp on this car (I have the Talon for that), so it looks like all I need is a good 6-bolt bottom end and some gaskets and I'll be rollin along in no time. My previous a/t's were completely solid under 300whp once I did the end clutch and shift kit upgrades. Guess I gotta change my FS thread.

4thStroke

English Racing has pounded on their auto transmission Talon. It outlived their 6 bolt through many 10 second 1/4 miles pases.

All he had done for a while was the line pressure mod. It now has a shift kit. The thing doesnt skip a beat.

The strength of the 1g dsm turbo trans is pretty well documented. I just had no idea if the stock GGSX auto trans was similarly strong. I guess I'll get to find out soon enough. Hopefully I can find a good block and turbo. I ditched all my spares when I finished my Talon. I really thought I was done building these things. When will I learn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Mark

Just make sure you keep it cool. Heat is the killer.

I have a stock dsm trans sitting in my garage for a back up. Has numerous dyno runs on 10 sec passes and launches with 150 shot.. It works good just sometimes shifts a little slow.

Last edited:

Thanks for chiming in Mark, I was hoping to hear from someone with some track time. So your stock GGSX a/t has been taking all the abuse so far? That's promising. Did you have any issues replacing the n/t motor with a 4g63t? Anything different about the flex plate or bushing needed with the ggsx trans?

Drat. I was really hoping to get some insight as to the strength of the stock ggsx a/t. Barring that, I'm trying to figure out which year 1g dsm trans is plung n' play with the ggsx harnesses

Well, it took long enough! Apparently the power limit of the the stock GGSX auto trans is whatever power a properly supported, yet untuned 20g'd 4g63 can put out. Anything over 14si and the trans slipped out. No trouble. I now have a turbo trans in, hoping it will hold the power much better.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned