The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

mls headgasket ?

bob92vr4

so im am finally starting to get my gaylant up and moving again no more jsb! i was just curious and this may be a dumb question but i ordered a new mls headgasket from jnz and was wondering if you guy's copper coat these before install or just put them in dry out of the box? thanks for the help in advance

bob92vr4

huh thats interesting i have never heard copper coat reffered to as a "glue" i just thought it would do just like he said fill in imperfections in the mating surfaces. i have always used it on most cars hondas ectand have never had one come back on me but most of them were not mls type gaskets.

prove_it

That article does raise some good points. I had the privilege to work with Chris Anderson of AAP in Atlanta GA for a few weeks. In this time I picked his brain over a couple things. Two of which were to keep or eliminate the oil squirters and the other of gasket prep for performance engines.

He uses copper spray on his gaskets. He's built 1500hp Supras and ran low 8 sec quarters doing so. His engines last. Hmmmmm. I have used a spray on every single head gasket job in my career as a tech and NEVER had a failure. I've done more than fifty now with no problem what so ever. I have only used two types of spray for head gaskets. Copper spray from the parts store and mopar gasket sealant for Chrysler dealers. Copper for MLS and the mopar stuff for fiber gaskets. Stock Mitsu gasket have a metal fiber and it is bad to spray metal fiber gaskets, but sprays do works with MLS.

Oh yea by the way while I was at the Honda training center in Denver I was thought to spray the stock honda gaskets. Hey they are MLS and hondas tend to not have problems so who knows.

It's my experience that sprays do work and are helpful. One thing I don't like in the article is that he mentions how the spray "glues" the gasket down and that nothing can move once you do so. Well I've never used or seen a MLS gasket with only 2 layers. Most are four, some are three layer. Now when I use a MLS I don't spray every layer, so even when you do use spray you still have several layers that are not "glued" down to the engine.

My two cents is to use the right spray to make up for minor surface irregularities on the sealing surfaces until I see and hear solid concrete proof it is bad.

iLLeffeKt vr-4

I sprayed my mls gasket with copper spray when I rebuilt the motor for 1759 and I know few other guys that use the copper spray with good results.

fivestardsm

I have coated MLS' and not had issues. I will always spray the composite gaskets, but after removing my MLS this last time because of my other isues I belive I will put the next one on dry. The reason being that it was a PITA to clean the copper spray off it, and the cleaner that I used actually softened the OE seal and made it unusable.

In all my training I was taught that if they are already coated (coated MLS like Cometic, or composite like Felpro, OEM, GM, Mitsu, etc) then they are installed dry. If they are bare metal they get coated.
I'm curious what everyone thinks about removing the oil squirters. I do have a NA 4G63 which as you know doesn't have the oil squirters.

Last edited by a moderator:

fivestardsm

Speed_Racer, ^^

Start a seperate thread on the squirters for you benifit, and this posters benifit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bazeng

I've tried both and honestly can't provide any cons for either.

They both worked (dry and copper sprayed).
Mind you the dry was with a HKS and Cometic gasket which were already coated with the stuff that they are sold with.

I've sprayed a Tomei and Cometic gasket and it seemed to hold fine also!

This time, I've gone dry on the Cometic gasket on the new VR4 engine and copper sprayed the TOMEI on the AMG engine.

89coltgt

So it is not recommended to use the copper spray on the paper-type gaskets on vehicles?

*Edit, looks like Permatex does make another type of spray gasket sealant, I've never noticed it at the parts store /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

click

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
I've been using the copper spray on mine for years. In fact, I'm on my 3rd use of the same MLS gasket so I must be doing something right. Next time I have the head off I'll probably get a new gasket for it.

John

Quoting fivestardsm:
Speed_Racer, ^^

Start a seperate thread on the squirters for you benifit, and this posters benifit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Turning Hi-Jack off now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

scottr126

I have always sprayed mine with the high temp copper stuff. Ive had engines that made over 1000 horsepower and never had headgasket failures.

fivestardsm

Quoting 89coltgt:
So it is not recommended to use the copper spray on the paper-type gaskets on vehicles?

*Edit, looks like Permatex does make another type of spray gasket sealant, I've never noticed it at the parts store /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

click

I personaly would not use that on a headgasket. I only use the copper because it will fill inperfections.

bob92vr4

wow didnt expect so many answers thanks everybody i think i will go ahead and use some of my trusty copper coat for this install too.

prove_it

Just be sure to use the good stuff, don't cheap out on it.

And use non-chorinated brake clean to clean the surfaces.

Last edited:

curtis

I'll add something to this. The evo exhaust gaskets from the head to the manifold are 4 layers instead of the two layers from a 2nd gen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned