The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GGSX Atuo trans

656of1000

After an exhaustive search, I've determined inconclusively that a GGSX 5 speed is no good with turbo power. However, I have not been able to find any info regarding an auto. Are they just as weak as a 5 speed, or are they capable of handling some decent power?
Thanks

JackbNimble

It was my understanding that the GGSX didn't even come with the auto option, 5 speed only. However, I could be wrong.

cspetros

The G-GSX came ONLY with an automatic AWD transmission in 1991 and 1992. The 1992's are very rare.

I've heard that the end-clutch in the FWD transmissions is the weak point. I'm not sure about the AWD forms, however.

89Mirageman

There is a 91 Galant GSX at the local junkyard with an auto tranny. Pretty much a complete car. Let me know if you need anything from it.

Wizardawd

The number of the transmission gives a bit of a clue as to the holding power. For instance: W4A31 is a NT Auto trans, W = AWD, 4 = speeds, A = Auto and 31 is the torque capacity. Whereas a Turbo AT is a W4A33. A 1.8L DSM Auto is F4A21. From what i've heard, a 2.0NT AT can probably hold decently with just bolt-ons, 14b, etc. After that it's probably going to be trouble. Kevin never had any power holding problems on his Turbo trans until the 11s, and even then it was only 1-2 clutches. So for a nice, near stock DD, it's probably ok. But, be aware the different years had different sensors and programming which can lead to a headache when swapping.

And the end clutches for ALL Mitsubishi Autos had issues. But, the replacement end clutch packs solved the problem and they can be changed still in the car.

Wiz

656of1000

Great info, thanks!

My brother-in-law could possibly get an auto GGSX for a good price. He wanted me to do some research as to whether or not the stock trans could withstand a 4g63t swap. It sounds like the answer would be no, since he'll probably be shooting for at least 250- 300 hp. Knowing that might keep him from even modifying it at all, which I'm sure all you purists would love. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts