The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Post BS removal Q:

gvr4ever

Just finished the BS removal job. Front was left in, rear removed. All went well. Started it up and drove around a little. Vibrations is very minimal. Not a problem.

The question I have is: The engine makes the slightest whirl noise. Nothing bad, nothing loud, but it sounds different. Is that normal?

Anyone else notice a different engine rev sound without BS?

Thanks.

cspetros

Sounds like a timing belt thing maybe? Are you running without the plastic cover over the cams?

gvr4ever

No, the cover is on. I guess if it changes or gets worse, I'll worry about it. It does rev with less effort. Just wondering if anyone else notices a slight change in the way the engine sounds when it isn't spinning the BS. I read a lot of post about vibrations, but I don't think anyone mentioned the sound of the engine changing.

Last edited:

GVR-4

I suspect what you are hearing is the timing belt tensioner or idler bearing or both. In my experience, if you get the timing belt tension a little too high, the bearing(s) will make the noise you are describing. I had it happen to me on my '85 Maxima years ago, but just left it alone. I also had it happen on my VR-4, but I eventually did the work and re tensioned the timing belt. The noise went away. YMMV.

gvr4ever

I actually hear it on acceleration. I might post up a audio clip. Not sure. I spent a lot of time getting the tension set. If I didn't think it was right, I wouldn't have put the car back together. I know it's possible that I could have made a mistake, but I'm pretty sure it's set right.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I don't know why, but on 115 when I had it, the engine made a whining noise from the timing belt area that never did go away. That was a low miles factory assembled engine too.

I just rebuilt the 2.4 in my daughter's car, and now at idle there is a tock tock noise that seems to be coming from the belt tensioner likely. Why? No idea, but I hope it decreases with miles. I know the belt is tensioned right.

gvr4ever

Well, I'll be careful with it and keep checking the t-belt and not leave town for a week. By checking it, I mean pulling the cover to make sure it's not loose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I spent a really long time getting the tension gap right, so I don't know what else I can do.

It isn't a bad sound, it's just different/new. Almost like a really really quiet SCer.

turbowop

Quote:
By checking it, I mean pulling the cover to make sure it's not loose.

That doesn't really work. The tension between the cam sprockets changes depending on where they're at when you shut down the engine.

gvr4ever

Well, I know it's not an accurate measure, but if it was sloppy loose....

I've been driving it around and it's actually driving a bit better. More low end power. I even had a phantom low RPM knock that seems to be gone now too. I must be lucky to have a really good balanced engine, because I can't really even tell much of a difference at all.

Quoting turbowop:
Quote:
By checking it, I mean pulling the cover to make sure it's not loose.

That doesn't really work. The tension between the cam sprockets changes depending on where they're at when you shut down the engine.

Wop's right. You'll notice that after a few minutes of sitting the belt will feel loose. It scared me a few times when I first got the car. I choose not to keep the upper cover on. I like to be able to keep an eye on the belt. It saved my ass before when I noticed the belt moving towards the outside due to right-side pulley bolt backing out.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned