The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

TB Ports

belize1334

I'm hooking up a Dejon-Mod 1G BOV and I need another reference port that is pre-throttle plate (i.e. charge pipe pressure). I'd like to avoid drilling another hole in my charge pipes and I don't want to T into the line coming off of the turbo-outlet if I can avoid it. Is there a port on the throttle body (A or E) that will accomplish this? I tried searching but it seems like we all just cap them off and there's no discussion about what they actually do. I know that the P port is just plenum pressure making it ideal for a boost reference. Does anyone know what all of the other TB ports reference to?

Last edited:

atc250r

Staff member
The throttle body is a terrible place to get a boost or vacuum signal from, I know first hand (at least the "P" port) is. The problem is that the passage that feeds it is only a few thousands in diameter so you very little volume there. For something like a boost gauge it would probably be OK but when I ran my BOV off of it I had a terrible flutter when shifting. I moved my source to the intake plenum and the problem went away. I'm sure the other ports have similarly small passages.

John

belize1334

Is that diagram suggesting that the A and E ports are both pre-throttle plate? The text also seems to imply this since the E port vacuum is low during idle conditions which is consistent with behind ahead of the throttle plate which acts as a restrictor. I'm not sure I understand the bit about leaking to the A-port but I have my FIAV blocked off which I image means that the "thermo" valve will never open.

I'm not too worried about the size of the lines since this is only for a reference signal to control a vacuum switch. It shouldn't have to move any air at all (unlike the main BOV line which has to move the diaphragm).

Edit: I checked the A and E ports (only A1 since the n/a tb has no A2 port) and determined that, at idle, only the A port actually sees vacuum. I'm not sure if it's because I have the FIAV blocked off or if it's something to do with using a turbo tb gasket on a n/a tb. Still, the A port seems to read pipe pressure rather than manifold pressure which makes it ideal for use with a Dejon-Mod bov.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned