The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Water pump pulley.

gvr4ever

How many times can it be dropped on the ground before breaking. Seriously. Any tricks. Last time, the stars were aligned just so, and I got the bolts in just a few minuets. This time, I'm not even in the right neighborhood.

Having an off day?

I've always just set the pulley up and then put the outside pulley on while holding a bolt going through it with my finger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

Does your water pump flange have the little pin sticking out? Or is it just a hole?

gvr4ever

No pin. Ya, I must just be having a really off day. I just want this done and this is the last thing that can hold me up. I was hoping to hear the car make some noises tonight...

Ya, not having the pin in the first pulley to line stuff up would be a major PITA.

Dont stress. Just take your time and you'll get it. Or you can say f' it and find a pulley with the dowel pin in it.

Ready set go!

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

I found that using a long and then allen wrench, or perhaps a cut coat hanger to help. Without the pin it sucks to get it on there. So take something long and skinny with a short 90 degree bend at the end making a hook of sorts. Like a piece of coat hanger wire. Rotate the water pump flange so the little hole is up. Hang the two water pump pulleys off the little hook you just made. Slowly lower them down into place, and stick the little hook into the hole on the water pump. Then take your hand, or something long like a screwdriver and push the pulleys all the way onto the water pump. That should get you pretty well lined up so you can start a screw. KEEP the hook contraption on there until you get a screw in snug.

gvr4ever

I came up with a method that worked for me. It's a little time consuming, but I think its full proof. I cut some spare thin electrical wire I had laying around. I threaded it in three of the 4 holes. Then the first part of the pulley, then the 2nd. Make sure nothing is binding up in the pulleys, and then tie the string up. It should all be lined up and ready for a bolt. Then just take out one at a time, and install a bolt after the first bolt gets in.

GVR-4

Cut the head off a bolt of the same thread pitch and use it as a stud temporarily to get the pulleys lined up. Then start two bolts and remove the stud. Cake.

brisvr4

I just superglue the 2 pulleys together. Makes fitting it back on a piece of cake.

gvr4ever

Quoting GVR-4:
Cut the head off a bolt of the same thread pitch and use it as a stud temporarily to get the pulleys lined up. Then start two bolts and remove the stud. Cake.

Thats what I wanted to do. I seemed to have misplaced my spare bolts. Anyhoo, not all Mitsu water pumps have the pin in them. Mine doesn't even have a hole for it. Just 4 bolt holes.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned