The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2nd gear shifter movement(WARNING!!!!)

prove_it

I have a great shifting 120k trans in my car now and I've noticed that when I drive in second gear and let off and get on the gas the shifter will move forward and back. It does not move in 5th or any other gear, just second. I was reading up on VFaq about tightening the two nuts at the end of the trans shafts in the end case to eliminate the shifter movement in 5th. Does anyone know if this is the problem I am facing, or do I have a main bearing going south?

Last edited:

prove_it

Bump, anyone have any ideas?

prove_it

shifts great though, all gears, no grinding. Previous owner babied the car too for the last 100K miles, as have I.

prove_it

So i'm writing this as a warning hoping that everyone will go out and check this before it gets too late like it did for me. I decided to pull my end case off and take a look and check the nuts on the end of the shafts. Yea both were loose. Yea it's too late for my trans too. I can wiggle my countershaft about a quarter of an inch axial and radial. It still shifts and drives good, but it's noisy now, and the case has been ground down from the gear. It only took about 500 miles to ruin my transmission.

It could have been prevented too. It takes about an hour and a half to tighten the nuts down. Well worth the time in my opinion.

It's on vfaq.com and I highly recommend doing this. It only costs some rtv and fluid if you use new fluid.

spoulson

Were the nuts not staked?

THEKID

could be a bad motor mount. when you let off and on the gas the motor might be rocking back and forth which would pull on the shifter cables and make the shifter move.

1990ggsxnj

Quoting prove_it:
So i'm writing this as a warning hoping that everyone will go out and check this before it gets too late like it did for me. I decided to pull my end case off and take a look and check the nuts on the end of the shafts. Yea both were loose. Yea it's too late for my trans too. I can wiggle my countershaft about a quarter of an inch axial and radial. It still shifts and drives good, but it's noisy now, and the case has been ground down from the gear. It only took about 500 miles to ruin my transmission.

It could have been prevented too. It takes about an hour and a half to tighten the nuts down. Well worth the time in my opinion.

It's on vfaq.com and I highly recommend doing this. It only costs some rtv and fluid if you use new fluid.

EEK! That sucks. I have yet to look at the VFaq or even open my end-case but it doesn't seem like a hard job.

Last edited:

prove_it

Easy easy easy job, I'll try to post some carnage pics. Yea the nuts are staked but they were still loose. Crazy thing i swear. Worst part is that I put new fluid in it, then after about 400 miles it started making noise, at 800 miles I pulled the end case off. Fluid is black, full of bearing and syncro metal and the shaft is extremly loose. it took 400 miles of easy driving to distroy the trans.

Tightening the nuts take about 1.5 hours. So easy too.

and no it's not a mount. They are poly filled. sorry. it's an internal trans issue.

Struc

When I switched my output shaft (22 vs 23 spline) on my tranny, which I just bought, and I thought had just been rebuilt, I noticed that the end nut was loose on the top shaft. I tightened it down and re-staked it. Fast forward a few months and about 1000 miles, and I'm having trouble getting the car in reverse. This last saturday I pulled it apart again, and sure enough the nut was loose again. I put a NEW nut on this time, and went and purchased the correct socket to torque it down (36mm), and staked the hell out of the thing. Shifting into reverse is all better now.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned