The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2g accumulator

Brianawd

Best mod I have done in a long time to the drive train. Man what a difference. I can now slip the clutch all I want with out getting a bunch of clutch chatter. Driving the car around and going through the gears is nice and smooths. No more loud chirps and hard down shifts. I would say its feels like a brand new 2600 but just a tad bit more grab. I used to think driving the car was not that bad but now I have know idea how I ever did it. So if you have a twin disc and have not done this mod then do it. You will be happy you did.

curtis

Which master and slave are you running with? Never thought of this really but it would allow the clutch to engage more smoothly. I'll have to ponder this for a while.

Oh do you have the restrictor in the slave or is it pulled out?

Brianawd

I'm using a factory master cylinder with the stock 1g slave. This mod has been around for some time now but I just got around to doing it. If you are on the link board this is a whole thread about it.

spoulson

Strange, because I remember replacing my 2G accumulator on my 97 GS-T with a ss braided line and noticing better clutch control.

4thStroke

Quoting spoulson:
Strange, because I remember replacing my 2G accumulator on my 97 GS-T with a ss braided line and noticing better clutch control.

Its a deficiency with the single disc clutches, but helps the twin discs be a lot more driver friendly by opening up the engagement window. Twin discs arent the most enjoyable driving mods out there.

turbowop

Quote:

Twin discs arent the most enjoyable driving mods out there.

Kind of. They're awesome when shifting through the gears at WOT...not so fun when leaving from a stop. Stop and go rush hour traffic on I5 or any other similarly busy highway is a huge test of one's sanity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

Brianawd

What is does is just slow down the engagement. On a twin they are so much like a on/off switch that there really is no slipping. With using the accumulator it makes the engagement go from less then 1in on the peddle to just a little over 2in. I said before that I could DD my galant with the twin but now I rally could. Feels like a act 2600 but unlike the 2600 I can shift the car at 8k with out a problem.

4thStroke

Quoting Brianawd:
Feels like a act 2600 but unlike the 2600 I can shift the car at 8k with out a problem.

STFU.

Mark, you're right, I should have worded that differently.

Last edited:

Brianawd

Quote:
STFU.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Dude its so much better now its not even funny.

Brianawd

So when I first did this mod I just used my 1g slave. Well in the last week or so is started leaking. Then 2 days ago it died. So I picked up a new 2g gsx slave. Man what a difference it made. I can now slip the clutch even more. It to the point the pedal pressure now feels like stock.

So for any one that has a twin, I highly suggest that you do this mod asap. You will thank your self after.

Brianawd

Quote:
What exactly is this mod?

Is it in VFAQ?

Like Mark said its not really a mod but kinda is for the twin disc guys. On the 95+DSM they had a accumulator and a slave that had a bigger bore with less travel. So when you put it on a car with a twin disc it slows down the clutch engage meant making for a twin that is supper easy to slip. Make the twin feel more like a single disc clutch.

This is what it looks like

1badgvr4

Sorry for the stupid questions but is there a provision for it in the 1g clutch line? I have my twin up for sale because I hat it so much, but this might change my mind.

Brianawd

Yes you can run it on a 1g. It bolts up the same as it did on my car. When you buy one you need the accumulator and the 2 hard lines that go with it. One goes from the factory rubber line to the bottom of the accumulator and the other goes from the top of the accumulator to the slave.

bazeng

I'll take 2 please!!

Anybody have a mitsu part number?

I like the sound of it.
My twin plates aren't that bad, but anything to help make it drivable would be great...

Brianawd

I will call my friend that works in a mitsu parts department and get you the part #s

turbowop

Quoting Brianawd:
I will call my friend that works in a mitsu parts department and get you the part #s

If you're talking about Howard, don't bother. He quit to go work at NAPA.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts