The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

PS Fittings...?

324vr4

What fittings are in the OE steering rack?! where the hose barbs come off and the HP lines for the PS....I removed the PS and noticed the 3-piece line that loops underneath and I'm going to attempt to make it a one piece and be done with the 2 compression fittings in the process...are they NPT or BSP?! or am I even remotely on the right path?!

Last edited:

324vr4

for the top or bottom ones? Seems like the top size, b/c I'm pretty sure all tube fittings are tapered...right?!

Last edited:

324vr4

The barbed fittings are sealed with O-rings, so that would make sense to be metric like that; bur the bottom tube nuts do not have that...

Dialcaliper

14x1.5 straight thread sounds about right.

They are straight fittings, just like AN fittings. The only reason "pipe thread" is tapered is because pipes of the same "size" vary widely in actual diameter and wall thickness depending on the material (lead, iron, copper, galvanized, PVC etc)- a tapered thread will work on a wide range of sizes and wall thicknesses, and will mate to almost anything else with the same thread ram[, even if the sizes aren't quite the same.

A straight thread is a better, more reliable seal. A tapered thread has a leak path, unless you insert some sort of sealant goop or teflon tape, or deform the thread material by torquing a brass or steel fitting into an aluminum housing. (hence the reason "AN" aka "Army Navy Standard" used in aerospace applications are straight thread). Also, you can only get a few turns out of a tapered thread that are actually seated.

Quoting 324vr4:
for the top or bottom ones? Seems like the top size, b/c I'm pretty sure all tube fittings are tapered...right?!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned