The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Too much play in my shifter/linkage

Does anyone have a nice picture, maybe a nice macro picture of their shifter assembly, mine seems to have alot of play to where Im trying to find the gear, and I can see some places I think there needs to be a washer, and other places that sag and rub on the shift plate, but I think everything is there. Thanks

Hope this helps. I have mine right next to me, but it has no bushings in it right now. Check the bushings where the shifter cables bolt up to the trams linkage. Those seem to be the worst ones on most cars I've messed with. The one on the galant looked new, but the other fell apart when I went to disconnect it.

solidviper89

I had tons of side to side play, not in the actual linkage but just the shifter. I replaced the bushing in the shifter shaft(#2 in that diagram) and it made most of the play go away. The only other bushing I want to replace is #11 in that diagram, IDK what its called but there is still some play in it.

Where did you pick up your new bushings, and what was the price like for them?

Should be able to pick them up from dealer I'd think. Look up the part # in CAPS.
I'm personally just going to machining some new ones out of delrin later this week. Might be willing to make some extras if there is interest.

NateCrisman

I'd be totally in for a set of deleon shifter assembly bushings. Keep me posted.

Its raining so I'll probably be making up a set this weekend. I'll post some pics when there done. Both looking for full sets?

i am interested as well. Post some pictures. If they look nice and work well i would buy a set from you. Paypal ready! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif i am used to honda shifters.... So i find the gvr4 needs some help.

I've been driving without the shifter boot the past few days so I can observe and I don't know how I have been driving the car like this for over 2 yrs. Talk about slop I got at least .1" of play in every direction. This is the first manual car I owned but wondered why I have only felt one other car with so much slop and that was an old beat up 1984 toyota pickup.

What's good with the bushing kit?

I did mine about a year ago and I am very happy with it. I went the custom route and rebuilt it with all metal bushings. I used a 1/2 copper pipe as the sleeve, it was a little loose, so I used some brass hobby sheets. The nice thing about them is you can get almost any thickness you want. Then I took my shifter into the hardware store and got brass washers. Some were a little thick, but a few minutes with a fine mill file got them just right. It took a little more time doing it this way, but its much better than my 92 Eclipse or my 97 GST. The cool thing is, you can "tune" your shifter exactly the way you want. I wanted just a touch of drag to feel smoother, and now it is great.

Sorry the the lack of update on the delrin set. Had issues with cars and lawn lower so didn't get around to it since they needed fixed first.
Planning on turning them once I'm done biking today aslong as I get back at a reasonable time. Should have pics this evening or tomorrow.

Got them finished and installed today. Wanted to make sure they fit before I posted any pics. Made them from some spare delrin. Has 0 play, yet no bind after some minor sanding on the face to get the lengths right. What do you think?
If there is interest I might post a feeler thread over in the for sale section. Not really sure how much they would run yet, but I have enough material for atleast 2 more sets right now.

GVR4ZUM

I'm interested. Does the console need to be taken out in order to put them on? I did the number 2's and I didn't have to.

jepherz

Staff member
I took mine apart last night and yes, I had to pull the center console up. For those interested, I think the factory part number for the bushings is MB580253 and shows at over $7 a piece from mitsubishiparts.net. I just turned up an aluminum sleeve for mine last night since my bushings were totally gone.

Sets 2, 6, and 11 in the picture. Sets 2 and 11 are the same, and set 6 has a bigger bore.
Haven't gotten it back in the car yet because I didn't get home till almost 9, but between these, the solid mounts, and the solid front cable bushings, I'm expecting almost no play.

NateCrisman

1990ggsxnj

I looked for the feeler thread and havn't seen it yet but am interested here as well. Let us know!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned