The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

headgasket?

Brunoboy

Hi guys, well My idle has been funky lately, my coolant temp sensor just came on (not hooked up to the top of the thermo housing but never gave me a problem before. My temp gauge just stopped working today, and Clouds of white smoke when going up the hill of my house smashing. But at idle it doesnt smoke 0_o. I have no idea, Please let me know what you guys think, if its time for it to go, then yha its time for it to go. luckily I have a spare in my garage to build but im a college student without a job -__-. Normal driving btw no smoke.
-Shane

What does your oil look like? Is it milky? Whats your compression like? Is your coolant level full? What does your exhaust smell like(sweet smell) or oily?

Need more info.

Its very possible you blew a oil seal in your turbo and its pumping raw oil into your exhaust.

Brunoboy

Quoting BOOSTIN HARD:
What does your oil look like? Is it milky? Whats your compression like? Is your coolant level full? What does your exhaust smell like(sweet smell) or oily?

Need more info.

I just got the turbo, its a MHI Big 16g, I bought it from Strokin4dr, and thats what happend to my last turbo, I dont know, I do know im leaking oil where the return line meets the oil pan, and its leaking onto the dp from the outside. is it possible the smoke came from under the car cuz the dp burned the oil thats falling on it??? would it be white? the turbo had very minimal shaft play as well. Smells uhm like oil burning. but idk if its from the exhaust or under it, its heavy in the car.
-Shane

Brunoboy

Quoting Hertz:
The sensor on top is the cutout for the A/C.

what is it that controls the temp gauge?
-shane

Brunoboy

Well my oil and coolant didn't mix or didn't look like it, my car does crank and start but starts and dies right there after bout four tries I was able to move it but if I push the gas hard it dies -_- and my temp Gauge still not working

Brunoboy

dont have a compression tester, dont have money to take it to the shop, Im a broke ass Unemployed College student. -__-. But can anyone tell me what controls the temp gauge?
-shane

Hertz

Staff member
It's one of the other temperature sensors on the thermostat housing. However, I think the cluster gauge and the signal to the ECU are from different senders. There's a multitude of diagrams on this site for it and the factory service manual. I'd look it up.

Brunoboy

Could a thermostat that's defective cause this?

Jason G.

It's been a while since I have looked at one.

The one on top as Hertz mentioned is for the AC.

A single prong up front for the gauge

A two pin on the front for the ECU

One on the backside closest to the head is like an emergency switch, if you ground this one, it runs the fans with the ignition on.

A compression tester costs $25 bucks, get one.

Brunoboy

forsure, can you get a pic of the connectors for me? mine has all stripped connectors so I had to ghetto rig each sensor connector.
-Shane

turbowop

A compression tester is like $15 at a local parts store. Are you so broke you can't buy one and test the compression yourself?

Boost leak? Wires busted off the temp sender? Lots of things you can check.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts