The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3 Bolt LSD rear end axle popping out / Gas tank filler hose

So I took #435 out on its first drive and when I got back I realized the driver's side rear axle had slightly popped out of the rear end and was leaking. I went to tug at it to seee what was going on and it popped right out while bolted in....Does anyone know which side the axle with the longer input shaft goes in. I put the longer one in the passenger side and the shorter on the driver's side? Is this right? Only thing I can think of is that I have them in the wrong sides but they both popped right in and seated all the way... Anyone know what my problem might be? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Also found out my rubber filler hose from the tank to the neck had a hole in the bottom of it. I temporarily cut it and got it in on kind of ghetto. Aanyone know where to find a replacement besides the junkyard or anyone havbe one thats not rotted out?

Last edited by a moderator:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The axle needs or should have a small circlip on the splined end.

The fuel filler hose is still available new. Get one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Did you use both axles from an LSD rear? You didn't try to use the original axle for one of them? I remember that some people tried to tell me you could use the stock axle for the driver's side, if I recall, but they were wrong. It is ~3/16" longer than the proper LSD axle.
If I remember correctly, the passenger's side axle is the one with the long, stepped splines.

Yes they were both LSD axles. I am going to pull it out and check the ring on the end to see if it is damaged. What store/site are you using for the filler hose?

jepherz

Staff member
Yes, keydiver is correct. Longer on passenger side and you need both axles. However, even if you use the non-lsd axle on the driver's side, it should not pop out unless your circlip is messed up.

Okay so I got my other axles in the mail and the smaller side one that was popping out was indeed the wrong axle. I pulled both axles out to take a look at everything and now I cant get either of them back in. I fought them for over an hour with no success. I know its the snap ring on the end why they both aren't goin in becuase I took both off and they slid right in and seated all the way. I have tried closing the snap rings up some but they seem to stretch back out when I put them back on. Anyone have any tricks or a fix for the rings, I have never had this hard of a time trying to get an axle in!! Someone please help guide me in the right direction before I punch a baby in the face /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif lol

toybreaker

iconoclast
It helps to have the axle level when trying to pop it back in. (If you're going in at an angle, things can bind up.)

Just hold the driveshaft approximately level, slide it in as far as it goes, push the outer c.v in to take up the slack, and then give it mild smack with a dead blow, and it'll go right in.

Last edited:

johnnyRacer

Quoting iceman69510:

The fuel filler hose is still available new. Get one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Just pick one up from the dealer for less than $50.

deez

Are you supposed to use the axles from a 1G for the 3 bolt limited slip conversion?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned