The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

978 Smoking After Rebuild. Not Oil Burning...

I just recently rebuilt 978, to get her out of JSB status. Long story short, new balance belt shredded up and jumped my timing. I've taken the step already and eliminated the balance shafts just so they won't be a problem in the future. Had a new rebuilt head installed with oem timing and headgasket mls. A brand new oil pump was also installed with balance shaft capped off. The car during cold start-up would emit a smoke cloud kinda like a diesel, after awhile it dissipates. Only 50 miles in to the break-in period, my car is still smoking only 1st gear and sometimes second. I cannot determine it's the turbo, because it's not affected all gears. I know it's not burning oil, I check it more than usual now. Its color is like brand new oil was poured in. Someone know what it could be? Maybe the paint from the new rebuilt head? I don't want to go another 100 miles and figure something major is going again...

Terry Posten

When my turbo ate itself, oil got down in the exhaust pipe. It took 2 weeks to stop smoking.

Also, did you replace the rings when you had the motor apart? If so, ou need to seat the rings and it can take a while for them to fully seat.

What is your coolant temperature doing? Is it using any coolant? Some people, including myself, have had issues with an MLS not sealing right.

Coolant temp is in the middle behind the post on top of it. I didn't replace piston rings. I'm going to try some oil stop leak / thicker oil to see if it is really the piston rings. As far as the turbo, it runs excellent. If it turns out to be rings, I will overhaul the bottom-end with new pistons, rings, connecting rods...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned