The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Sticking rear caliper

Gabor

My right rear caliper is sticking and wore the pads down all the way to the metal end chewed up my rotor.
What options I see out there is a new one for around $100.00 or a rebuild kit for much much less.
Have any of you dealt with that before? (It's not my ebrake cable, as I pull the ebrake while rolling it does grab and when I let it down it releases.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
It could be just the slide pins sticking. When I had 115, both rears had one each of the little rubber boots missing off the slides, and they both eventually stuck. After getting them apart, I cleaned everything up and lubed the slides, replacing the boots and they were fine. No need for caliper piston rebuild or replacement.

gtluke

we have the worst rear calipers in history. take em apart and find out what's sticking. usually it's the pins but lately the e-brake hinge has been sticking on mine. had to fix that the other day for the 2nd time this year.
junk!

Gabor

It's not the pin. I put new pads in and a new rotor because the old was destroyed. I drove the car a few miles and spit on the rotor just to check if it was sticking or not and it was hot as hell. So, it's got to be something else. Weird because the piston turned nice and easy when I installed the pads.

rgeier11

I just had to replace one of mine. They are $71 at Autozone after the core charge. Pretty cheap.

Gabor

Sounds pretty expensive to me. I might just have to opt for the rebuild kit or a used one.
Anybody rebuilt theirs before?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Well, I started to once, but the issue with the bad one I had was the e-brake rotational cylinder. It was rusted up and I could not remove it to even rebuild it. If that is what is wrong with your and is causing the brake pads to stay locked up, it may be difficult to impossible to rebuild yourself.

Andy_S

Check for a collapsed brake line. Recently had a similar issue where the brake kept locking even after everything else was replaced, it turned out to be the line. Might be worth looking into.

TWEAKD4

I rebuilt mine and lasted about a year and a half. I finally just replaced it from Advance Auto and no problems. I would suggest just replacing it.

mikus

nothing new here, but yea my last one was -both- the pin and the ebrake rotational part seized. I'm sure one went first, but both were well done when I got to pulling it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned