The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Rebuilding entire drivetrain....

Well my motor died yesterday so its time for a rebuild as well as clutch and trans rebuild. This will take a month or so to collect money and parts then I will drop off at my local machine shop that did all the machine work on my honda motors. Please any suggestions or comments as to what you did for your rebuild feel free post below. Current plans:

Stage 2.5 TRE Trans Rebuild
Clutch unknown yet.

Motor:

Entire motor balanced.
Balance shafts removed.
Stock pistons new rings.
ARP Rod Bolts and Head Studs
New oem oil pump, waterpump.
New timing components.
Shot Peen rods
OEM multi layer headgasket.
OEM engine gasket kit.
Get full valve job
New valve seals.
Upgrade lifters (Not sure what to go with yet, i just have read this is a weak point)
The usual basic things, replace everything lol.

I just want a nice stock slightly upgraded rebuild. I am have a Big 16g going on and evo3 manifold etc. I will be running a evo8/9 intercooler and custom piping.

Engine management undecided. ECMLink?
720cc injectors?

I want a reliable 300-350 whp.

Does the above plan support that power goal or is something off?

I also have a full 4 bolt rearend waiting to go in. I want to upgrade the full shifting assembly as well. Pics soon of the car as i bought it/with a few improvements.

If you want 350 I'd go with a 50 trim. Makes the power without working near as hard as my 16g did.

Lonewolf64

Quoting AutoX_VR4:
Well my motor died yesterday so its time for a rebuild as well as clutch and trans rebuild. This will take a month or so to collect money and parts then I will drop off at my local machine shop that did all the machine work on my honda motors. Please any suggestions or comments as to what you did for your rebuild feel free post below. Current plans:

Stage 2.5 TRE Trans Rebuild
Clutch unknown yet.

Motor:

Entire motor balanced.
Balance shafts removed.
Stock pistons new rings.
ARP Rod Bolts and Head Studs
New oem oil pump, waterpump.
New timing components.
Shot Peen rods
OEM multi layer headgasket.
OEM engine gasket kit.
Get full valve job
New valve seals.
Upgrade lifters (Not sure what to go with yet, i just have read this is a weak point)
The usual basic things, replace everything lol.

I just want a nice stock slightly upgraded rebuild. I am have a Big 16g going on and evo3 manifold etc. I will be running a evo8/9 intercooler and custom piping.

Engine management undecided. ECMLink?
720cc injectors?

I want a reliable 300-350 whp.

Does the above plan support that power goal or is something off?

You might want to take a look at the 2g piston/1g rod combo. It requires a little machining to make the 1g rods fit the 2g pistons but the extra compression and spool should be a nice addition to your build. As for lifters, 3g lifters are what you want and are for sale from many vendors, such as JNZ tuning. Probably the best value in terms of tuning is ECMlink available from Jesse on the board. If you don't have that kind of money, Jeff aka Keydiver offers custom burned chips which work amazingly well on near-stock motor setups like yours.

I think your goals are reachable. I have an almost similar setup and with just the keydiver chip and no further tuning made 326 awhp on pump gas on my EvoIII 16g. You might have a hard time getting to that point on just a B16g but it is definitely doable.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts