The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Issue with alty or thermo or both?

2of9

First off, I have the "old school" Technomotive Stage 3 ECU Chip. I can choose to have a battery gauge, octane, spark, Injector Duty Cycle, etc on my boost gauge. As of now, I have the Battery Gauge (volt) on. On the battery gauge, having five to six bars (on the stock boost gauge) means that my battery voltage is running at it's best...having 3 or 4 bars is on the border line of "battery/alty suffering" or something is wrong.

Well, just about 2 days ago my alternator/thermo gauge has been goin up and down on me.
Here's the deal(while driving on highway); when ever my "volt" gauge shows me that it's full, the thermo gauge is on the first line near the "H" and sometimes the thermo needle will past the first line near the "H" just a bit but NEVER reaches the orange.
Than when my "volt" gauge is at about 10-12volts (3-4 bars), the thermo goes back to normal. It's back and forth with the gauges. Whenever I have a full gauge, the thermo needle jumps straight to the first line near "H". And than whenever ever I have the 3-4 bars, the thermo needle is dead in the middle. I'll do an alty test later tonight and check the battery also. (I'm in class right now). Help is much appreciated! thanks!

Things I've noticed:
- I've checked the coolant and I've lost none since I fixed the bolts on the turbo.
- Alty belt is making "screeching" noise when I start it up.
- Battery seems to have spilled small amounts of it's liquid on top of itself.

Rausch

Quote:
Battery seems to have spilled small amounts of it's liquid on top of itself.

.....err. Start there.

Check the voltage from the ALT. when it's running at the battery. It sounds like the voltage regulator went bye bye and is now cooking the batt. If you see something on the order of 15v+, or ~12v-, you have an issue.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I would suggest looking at belt slippage too, but if I am reading correctly, your two symptoms are appearing to operate opposite of that.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts