The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Knock Sensor?

johnnyRacer

It seems that my new knock sensor is picking up engine noise constantly. Could it be the bse kit? My lifters are quiet. I start seeing knock on the old boost LED's any time there is a load on the engine. It goes away at cruise, then comes back if I stomp it.

Barnes

When you installed the knock sensor, how tight did you put it in there?

johnnyRacer

I just snugged it down. I didn't want to use to much muscle and bust it it up. I've been known to do that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

When was the last time you checked your base timing advance, as per the VFAQ with a timing light?

Barnes

Quoting johnnyRacer:
I just snugged it down. I didn't want to use to much muscle and bust it it up. I've been known to do that. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

How snug? These things need to be installed with very little torque. I'd have to look at my manual, but I think its like 12 ft/lbs or less. From my understanding over tightening them can make them create phantom knock.

johnnyRacer

I installed an egr block off plate and eliminated most of the vacuum lines; the engine responded very well. It ran so well it made me realize my clutch needs to be replaced. I just need to track down some boost leaks now, I'm only building 8 psi no matter what.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts