The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo feed question , how many of you set up like this?

Brunoboy

I already know that the stock 1g had the turbo feed to the head, well I just blew my eBay 16g that was on my car when I bought it, and I just bought a big 16g from the for sale section. Well my past three months of luck wasn't great. I went through 2 14bs and that eBay 16g. I'm feeding from the ofh wiu a ss line and I figure that it'll be ok for my new turbo. My two 14bs blew because of my cat being clogged and one lost a exhaust wheel. The eBay blew seals. I'm sure the pressure was too high using 20w50 so now I'm going to use 10w40..... We'll beside all that a guy on tuners that I actually know is calling me lazy for not trying to relocate to the head, he actually said that when I blow this one he'll buy it from me because he wants practice on rebuilding it.... What a douche. My past 2g was fed from the ofh with a 14b so I see no difference. Anyways does anyone else run their trbo feed from te oil filter housing?????
-Shane

mikus

I'd go from the head unless specifically instructed to do otherwise by the manufacturer or warranty provider.

91GSR

ive read that going from the oil filter housing can get u bad oil into ur turbo. by "bad" im not sure what it meant but thats what i read...in a book, not dar intarwebz

mikus

^ the 'upper' available port on our OFH is just post-filter, it's clean as you can get.

Brunoboy

Geez hasn't anyone ran it from the ofh??? I'm pretty sure there is someone out there that runs it from there....

mikus

i've run it from the OFH. It worked for my time with that turbo but I'd run it off the head if I did it again. The head feed is sufficient for almost any setup as long as the line is clean/clear.

turbowop

On 1051, I fed oil to my FPgreen from the OFH, but it had a larger thrust bearing that required more oil. The ball bearing FP3052 that I run now requires lower pressure so I feed it oil from the head and I use a restrictor.

On 503 I feed my Evo3 16g oil from the head using a factory hard line. Works fine.

I suggest people that read things in books but aren't sure of the actual answer stay out of Technical Discussions threads such as this. It only leads to misinformation. TIA.

Last edited:

Ian M

I'd like to think Mitsubishi had it all figured out when they decided to feed oil to the turbo from the head.

fivestardsm

Quoting Hertz:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

+1
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

CarRacer

Quoting Ian M:
I'd like to think Mitsubishi had it all figured out when they decided to feed oil to the turbo from the head.

Absolutely. They had it figured it out regarding journal bearing turbos, ball bearing turbos are a different story.

turbowop

Mitsubishi also thought they had it figured out with stupid balance shafts as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

While I agree that the factory feed argument is probably best in this instance, I don't think such a blanket statement should be used for all arguments regarding our cars. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Ian M

Quote:

Absolutely. They had it figured it out regarding journal bearing turbos, ball bearing turbos are a different story

Yeah I know,but we're (original post) talking about 14bs and 16gs here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quote:

Mitsubishi also thought they had it figured out with stupid balance shafts as well.

While I agree that the factory feed argument is probably best in this instance, I don't think such a blanket statement should be used for all arguments regarding our cars.

Haha,good point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Don't stop with just balance shafts though,there is more than one thing Mitsubishi probably coulda thunk out a little better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

Brunoboy

well if i do change to the head, i dont know all the fittings i need to convert the weird end of the ss that connects to the ofh to the round fitting, and i dont know what size bolt or plug i need to plug the ofh hole.
-shane

You can buy the a complete feed kit with line and fittings for like $20-$30 on ebay or just buy the one fitting if you really want to go back to feed from the head. IMO though I always run the feed from the OFH. I have ran 16g/14b's from OFH with no issues for over a year on multiple cars... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Hertz

Staff member
Balance shaft belts/bearings last more than a year too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Here is why I always thought was the reason people switched the feed line from head to OFH on 14b and 16g (or that type of turbo) cars. I used the OFH as a feed before on a car with a 16g and didn't have any problems.

Here

Click on the very last picture at the bottom.

Quote:
Stock, the turbo oil supply is just about the last oil in the whole motor. If you get it at the oil filter housing, you get oil fresh out of the filter.

turbowop

The head feed may be the last stop on the lubrication train, but an epic amount of 14b's and 16g's have gone hundreds of thousands of miles being fed from that location.

Last edited:

Rausch

^ At least 4 or 5 for sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Either way it should be ok. Journal bearings are not nearly as sensitive to higher oil pressures. The factory may have fed the turbo from the head because it was better, or because it was closer and cheaper. If you want to switch it, have at it, but it's just fine in the stock location.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts