The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to fix threads on rear hub?

Romanova

Some of the threads got messed up on one of my 5 lug rear hubs. How do I figure out what size die I need in order to rethread it?

Terry Posten

If your talking about the lug studs, just tap them out and tap new ones in.

Even if you need to remove the hub from the carrier.

Just unbolt the axle and let it lay down, remove the large nut that holds the 4 bolt cup on. A 1/2" impact just buzzes it off, no need for a bar holder. Then remove the cup, get a deadblow hammer and tap the hub striaght out. It will come out pretty easy.

Then tap all the old studs out of the hub plate and tap new one in.

Add some more grease and reassemble.

Super easy.

Romanova

I'm talking about the other piece on the rear of the hub where it bolts to the cup... found that I need to measure the pitch of the threads and then measure the threaded piece and find the appropriate die...

Ugh.

Terry Posten

Well, if it is not repairable, they are not that hard to find. And even new that are not to pricey.

Sorry to hear, little things like this are really annoying and can drain your will to keep at it.

If you need another hub, I will keep my eyes open.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts