The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Compression numbers

sleepyvr4

Well, thought I was golden on a 6bolt 4 bolt dsm swap candidate for cheap.

Supposedly rebuilt longblock with 3A valvejob, ARPs and new pistons - 5k on new motor. Runs/pulls hard. however compression told a funny story.

I was not there. My guy mentioned 110 110 110 150 psi - spoke to owner and 110 125 135 150 across board.

They ran a few checks. Looks sketchy. The car may be a good deal if a rebuild works out.

So far we got ideas of sh*t valve job, pushing head gasket, crap bottom end, warped head, etc...

I wanna low ball. I dunno. ideas appreciated...

Thanks

Wizardawd

Do a wet test and it'll narrow it down. If the numbers skyrocket, worn rings. Anything under 140psi on 7.8:1 pistons is weak with normal being 150-160psi. Also, 14psi variance between cylinders is the max.

And after the wet test, do a leakdown test. Using the compression tester hose, pump the cylinder full of air with that cylinder at TDC. Listen for where the air comes from. Air filter, intake valves aren't seating, exhaust...obvious, radiator cap (look for bubbles)is a headgasket leak, oil cap/dipstick is blowby past rings. There will always be a little leaking, but look/listen for the big leaks.

PS: Make sure the throttle plate is open when doing the test otherwise your numbers will be off.

Wiz

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned