The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

hyundai valve cover question

4wheelsqueal

Found a nice hyundai valve cover in the junkyard today. when i was taking it off, realized it has studs and nuts instead of bolts that hold it to the head. was wondering if anyone who has one of these uses longer bolts to secure it or do you get the studs of the donor car and install them on the head. and if you do use bolts, do you have to use some kind of sealant to fill in the gap between the bolt and the valve cover? if you use the studs, is there any way to get the cover one and off without taking the cam gears off? thanks in advance.

curtis

Cam gears are easy to deal with in a junk yard.

Step 1 remove cam gear cover.
Step 2 cut belt with new razor
Step 3 look around for employee's junkyard owner etc.
Step 4 take long cheater bar or tire iron from the car next to you insert into cam gears and bend until they break. (don't scratch or use the valve cover for leverage)
Step 5 remove cover and use a 8mm 6 point wrench or deep well socket and get the studs Don't forget the washers and nuts.

Not kidding thats how its done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

dsmer06

Quoting 4wheelsqueal:
Found a nice hyundai valve cover in the junkyard today. when i was taking it off, realized it has studs and nuts instead of bolts that hold it to the head. was wondering if anyone who has one of these uses longer bolts to secure it or do you get the studs of the donor car and install them on the head. and if you do use bolts, do you have to use some kind of sealant to fill in the gap between the bolt and the valve cover? if you use the studs, is there any way to get the cover one and off without taking the cam gears off? thanks in advance.

I've done it with longer bolts, and with the factory Hyundai studs. The bolts always leaked. I do not recall how I got around the gap, but I do remember the valve cover needs a different gasket set than our cars had stock.
n518857248_50030_6704.jpg

4wheelsqueal

Gottcha. thanks for posting the part numbers too, dsm06. hahaha i like your thinking curtis! that was my first thought to do something like that. the gear was bent a bit in the removal...

dsmer06

No problem. I forgot to mention that you can grind a little bit off the studs closest to the cam gears to get the valve cover off.

Oh, and the gasket kit you'll need is for a 95 hyundai elantra gls with the 1.8.

bazeng

Use the studs mate. That way you wont wear out the thread in the head.

The washers are also required (rubber coated). The nuts too.

You will need a different valve cover gasket (from Hyundai).

Keep in mind also, not all spark plug covers will fit, the Hyundai ones have a tiny difference in the bend near the oil cap.

4wheelsqueal

Got all the washers and nuts when i picked up the cover. glad to hear that someone else has ground down those two by the cam gears. that's what i was thinkng of doing. thanks for all the responses and help! now all i have to do is find a carbon fiber cam gear cover like bazeng's.....

Last edited:

turbowop

I've never actually seen one of the Hyundai rocker covers in person so excuse my ignorance here. Why is it necessary to remove or bend the cam gears out of the way? How is the rocker cover normally removed on the Hyundai? I can't imagine they'd expect you to remove the cam gears somehow before removing the rocker cover? Or is this just necessary to get the factory studs out? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

dsmer06

1354096387_l.jpg

You can kind of tell they are a about 5 mm taller which makes it so you can't just lift them up and over the studs. I'm not sure how they are normally removed, it's easiest to just grind about 2 mm off the studs.

bazeng

To remove my valve cover I loctited the studs to the nuts on the cam gear side (4 of them)

The other studs are ok to stay. Also if you have adjustable cam gears, sometimes the bolts off the cam gears get in the way so you have to back them out slightly to clear the valve cover when removing.

4wheelsqueal

also when i pulled this one off, it has the intake cam gear like a '95-'96 dsm with the cam angle sensor plate on the inside of the gear. had to rotate that to the open spot and the cover still didn't clear. have to give the loctite idea a try too. thanks!

gmp

the two studs furthest away from the cam gears.Should i loctite them to the head, and if so what color loctite would you all suggest?
also the short studs for the middle is there anything special i need to do with them?

Thanks gmp

bazeng

I loctited all the studs to the head so they don't come off when undoing the nuts except for the 4 on the right hand side (next to the cam gear cover).

The 4 cam gear cover ones I loctited the nuts to the studs (so they become bolts). This allows you to angle the cover enough so it doesn't get stuck under the cam gears when removing.
On the HKS cam gears, the bolts holding the cam gears together are a bit long and need to be backed out slightly to get the rocker cover off otherwise it gets stuck.

gmp

thanks now to pick a color to paint it

insane92

You guys are making this way more difficult than it needs to be. You do not need to use the studs, nuts, or the Hyundai vc gasket.

You can use a Mitsu vc gasket and bolts. Use washers to make up for the gap. Many others including myself have done it this way without an issue.

bazeng

It is about doing it right.

Plus the hyundai nuts look alot better than bolts and is better for the thread in the head (not always pulling the threads in the head).

fivestardsm

Quoting curtis:
Cam gears are easy to deal with in a junk yard.

Step 1 remove cam gear cover.
Step 2 cut belt with new razor
Step 3 look around for employee's junkyard owner etc.
Step 4 take long cheater bar or tire iron from the car next to you insert into cam gears and bend until they break. (don't scratch or use the valve cover for leverage)
Step 5 remove cover and use a 8mm 6 point wrench or deep well socket and get the studs Don't forget the washers and nuts.

Not kidding thats how its done. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Uh-hum...

That is one of the reasons that we stopped letting people in the yard I worked at for 10 years...

Nice one Curtis /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Last edited:

gmp

well i was lucky enough to have it pretty easy gettins the one in the yard off,the 4 studs you all say to lock tite came out stud and all so removal was a snap

4wheelsqueal

lucky!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned