The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Remanufactured ECU.

Hey I'm having the engine replace in my galant and while it was in the shop I went and grabbed the ECU out so I could inspect it and replace the caps if needed. I found that it have already been remanufactured by SIA Electronics. I'm the third owner of the car so it's very likely it was rebuilt be a previous owner.

The caps are bad I had cleaned up the board before I took the photo. The one thing that worries me is the dark spot next to the riser board nere the caps (second photo). It is a definate discoloration of the board. Is this normal? Can I test certain points to make sure it is still good?

Thanks

Terry Posten

Well, that is one shitty job of "rebuilding". Makes us all look bad.

If it works, don't mess with it too much. Just clean the acid off the board with q-tips and alcohol.

SmoothCustomer

That looks like a real hack job. Get in touch with "SIA" electronics and tell them the gvr4 mafia ain't prouda their work

I'm going to be pulling the caps off tonight and taking better photos of the top side. They shorted some resistors together too.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
They don't care how it looks, since 99% of owners (not GVR4 owners) would be scared to death to open one up. Besides, they probably put a sticker on it that says "warranty void if opened".

Terry Posten

Quoting mac515:
Whats the jumper wires on the back???

In about 75% of the ECUs I do, the acid has eaten traces off the board so you have to replace the traces with a jumpers.

The traces on the bottom looked fine, it was the top.

You MUST get all the acid off. Even if you have to remove the IC110 board, large transient suppressor, and more.

Then you have to replace the surface mount caps that usually fall off the board either from cleaning it or just eaten off. Then repair eaten pads and large runs, install new caps.

stevep

Quoting tredmkv:
not the prettiest looking repair job at all

Quoting iceman69510:
They don't care how it looks. Besides, they probably put a sticker on it that says "warranty void if opened".

Quoting Terry Posten:
The traces on the bottom looked fine, it was the top.

That ECU is about par for the "professional" rebuilders. Just enough done to make it work for a while.
I call those stickers the "Keep out, we don't want you to see our hack job" stickers.

The long wire is unnecessary if they had fixed the damage at C104. The other wire makes me wonder if there isn't more problems hiding under the heatsink between the pins of CM104 and CM105. You don't usually need a wire from the ISC trace to the edge connector unless the electrolyte has gotten between the pins and eaten the traces under the EMI filters.

Last edited:

Well a trace was cut on top of the board near the capacitor closest to the plug. And a short was sodered in from the positive side to a resistor from the same capacitor. It all checked out though. I'll see monday if it runs. (crosses finger: please dont blow up new engine.)

Well 1030 is up and running. It likes to idle high though untill it warms up. I'll have to figure that one out. Thanks for the help.

Jostar

I would still send that ecu to Stevep.. let him repair it or go over it..

89coltgt

Corey, Steve is the guy I was telling you about when you picked up the engine.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned