The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help, A/C wont turn off!

I was wondering if this was a problem anyone else has experienced before. My AC in my 92 vr4 will not turn off no matter which position the switch is in. The orange and green lights on the switch will turn on depending on what position it is in, but it will still blow cold. I've already searched through this forum and a couple DSM forums as well, but haven't been able to find anything yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Dialcaliper

Things to check:

Can you tell looking under the hood with the engine running if the A/C compressor (under the intake manifold) clutch activates and deactivates when the A/C button is turned on and off, or is it constantly locked on?

Is the A/C fan (drivers side radiator fan) also running constantly? It should change speeds depending on the A/C button light (off=off, Econ/orange=low, AC/green=high)

I'd check your A/C system relays first, as you might have a short in one of them. I'd start by looking for an electrical problem. All of the mechanical failures in the A/C system typically involve the system *not* working.

Did this problem just start, and it was working fine before? If you search, I recently posted a circuit diagram showing how the A/C system is controlled. It would be interesting to see what happens if you unplug the 2-wire sensor plug on top of the thermostat housing. If the A/C compressor still runs it would appear that someone has bypassed everything.

ktmrider

The two-position switch is prone to failure, especially after 18+ years of operation.
I replaced the one in #86 due to the High/green mode not activating.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned