The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Oil leak. :(

gvr4ever

I've had a small oil leak for some time, but lately I can't ignore it anymore. Is their a common place for oil leaks to start down low? I have oil getting on the driver side of the down pipe. I just jacked it up and let it run for about 10min, and I didn't see one new drop form. I'm guessing it only does it under boost or something. I have oil forming on the coolant line coming from the oil cooler/filter area. I just can't find a source.

I haven't checked today, but I've checked many times to make sure the t-belt was dry. It has always been bone dry. No oil on that.

Any ideals on where the oil could be coming from? This is driving me nuts. I can't drive 5 miles without smelling burning oil, but if I get under the car and wait, nothing. WTF?!?!?!?! If this helps, everything above the oil pan looks dry. I would think oil pan, but I'm just not finding the source.

Rausch

Turbo drain. My first guess.

gvr4ever

That's what I thought at first, but that is more on the right side of the down pipe and oil is leaking on the other side of it. I've seen others leak from that place and it's really obvious. Not one drop came from their.

I'm trying to find a local club member who has access to a lift. I suspect the car needs to be level, not on jack stands, and maybe even revved a little.

Or maybe I'll borrow my brothers set of jack stands, get it up on all 4 and level.

Is that oil dye good or BS? I've never used it, seen it used, but everyone talks about it.

Last edited:

Muskrat

+1 for oil drain tube. That's where mine is leaking (got to remember to order the parts I need to fix that...)

If you're going to use the black-light dye have the underside of the car cleaned before adding it.

gvr4ever

Here are a few pics.

Most of the oil seems to be collecting on this short coolant hose. I replaced it a few months ago, cause the original one busted.

Oil return line doesn't seem to be the source. Maybe a tad wet, but no collected oil like other places.

Oil on the DP. I'm afraid this can catch fire.

Random engine pic because I had a camera in my hand.

Note, above the oil pan seems pretty dry. The valve cover gasket is new and dry. I really don't want to guess and replace the oil pan gasket, but I might have too. I hope I can find a true source this weekend.

gvr4ever

Could this be a case of the stock oil cooler crapola thing? While I still can't find a source, most of the oil seems to be collecting around that area.

Rausch

Is the oil return wet all the way up? If it's leaking under pressure (There should not be any pressure to speak of in the return), it'll throw the oil and collect in places where it can pool...

I'd be inclined to double check the turbo drain. Could also be a number of things, but this seems to the the most common. I'd also recommend cleaning the areas well, and firing it up/ taking it for a VERY short drive, and see what you find.

mikus

Look up to the turbo end of the oil return line, it shouldn't get that wet (assuming it's in front of the leak when moving) that far up.
Check your dipstick tube, right by return line area.
Check the front of the lower timing cover to be sure it's dry (vs, something trickling down the outside of it)

I'm in a similar position, not as bad.. will do my oil pan (which has no gasket from factory) dipstick tube and return line all on next oil change just to eliminate sources

gvr4ever

I can try that tomorrow. The pictures didn't turn out so great, cause the camera didn't have enough light to focus. I'm just wondering of the drop of oil right behind the oil filter is a sign of the oil filter housing/cooler starting to fail. I know it's a problem and I never did go to the 90 style setup. Most of the oil seems to be coming from that area and spraying on the down pipe and that short coolant line has the most oil pooled up. Why it wouldn't leave one damn drop while I was watching it with the car running is beyond me.

turbowop

There is a seal within the oil cooler that may need to be replaced. It's pretty easy to do. Don't blame the oil cooler, there's nothing wrong with it. sh*t just gets old.

If I were you, I'd put some cardboard under the front end while it's on jackstands and spray the whole underneath with brakeclean in an attempt to clean off all that residue. Oil creeps its way everywhere making it look like leaks are where they aren't. Then go for a drive and come back and have a look to see if any are forming to get a better idea of where they start.

Could be oil pan seal, turbo oil drain, oil cooler, any of the seals on the front of the motor like the crank and oil pump seal, cam seals, or even the valve cover gasket. If you let it go long enough that sh*t will seep all the way down to the bottom of the motor. Check the lower middle exhaust manifold stud as well since it threads into an oil drainback in the head and needs to be RTV'd when installed.

fivestardsm

As turbowap said, the oil seal behind the cooler could be leaking, but...There is a problem that I have seen a BUNCH of times with these. If the oil filter gets over tightened, it will crush and deform the face of the cooler. When this happens, you will have a void where the oil seal seats, and the oil will leak out. The one thing that usually makes it worse, is people will try to tighten them up even more to get the leak to stop. All that does, is makes the leak bigger.

Last edited:

mooserage

Staff member
Quoting turbowop:
Check the lower middle exhaust manifold stud as well since it threads into an oil drainback in the head and needs to be RTV'd when installed.

Oh snap! I just learned something, that's why it does that! Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

gvr4ever

It does appear to be the oil pan. Is there a gasket PN? Or do you guys just RTV it? Is the exhaust, t-case, long bracket, and oil return line the only thing in the way of removing it?

Also, while I'm working on it, I might just replace the oil cooler gasket too. Got a PN for that? Anyone have a write up?

Last edited:

turbowop

Use ultra grey RTV to seal the pan. I don't know the part number for the oil cooler. It looks like an oil filter seal.

Sounds like you know what parts to remove to do the pan. Have at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

gvr4ever

I figured I would just replace the oil cooler seal while I was working on it. Cause I will wait over night before adding oil anyway. Might as well knock out another possible leak. I foolishly drive my car out of state often. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

gvr4ever

Oh real quick. Are the oil pan bolts different lengths? I seem to remember reading something about that.

Terry Posten

I also have an issue with oil drips. I just got done cleaning the underside (again) and will inspect after a drive.

But I am sure my issue is the pan gasket. Next oil change it is coming off and I am going to just use Ultra-Grey and no gasket.

From what I have read, clean EVERYTHING with break cleaner and a rag, put a good bead of gasket RTV all the way around on the pan surface, let cure for 30 minutes and then assemble.

What a pain.

gvr4ever

I actually saw a wet spot form around the pan today after I cleaned some of the oil off. Ya, a PITA, but I've had many years of fun and now I gotta pay. More with labor this time then cost, but oh well. I think I can do it without sacrificing blood this time. I do think blood helps it run even better. Am I wrong?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts