The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Got a 91 Talon AWD with fuel issues.

Well I picked up a 91 Talon AWD auto for 800 that had the engine replaced but did not have a computer. The car had been sitting at a shop for over two years. I got an ecu for a manual replaced the caps on it. Found that the 20A MPI fuse for on the possitive battery conectiong was removed and shorted and the EFI relay was unpluged fixed all those and could not get it to start. I noticed the fuel filter was leaking, some really digusting smelling fuel. I replaced the fuel filter, and decide I need to empty the fuel tank of all the old gas. This is what I found when I pulled the fuel pump.

Now I'm going to replace that whole assembly. I pumped about 5 gallons of brown digusting gas out of the tank, and there is large amount of sluge still in there. I don't want to have to drop the tank to clean it out. Is there any tricks or tips you guys might have to cleaning out the tank with out taking it off the car?

Thanks.

Terry Posten

That does not look like just gas.

May have some suger in it as well.

Don't forget the lines, they are going to look just like that.

Yeah I had to cut the hard line on the top to get it off the car. I'm going to replace all the lines as well.

Polish

I would replace the tank too, not worth the trouble if the inside looks anything like that fuel pump. You can find them at just about any JY since it's just a DSM.

jepherz

Staff member
Really? they are the same tank? I did not know that...

You're going to have to remove the tank. There's no way to clean it properly without removing it.

Polish

Not implying they are all the same, but AWD DSM's are fairly common.

Wow man looks nasty. I also would replace the tank and you may want to think about the lines what ever is in the tank will be the lines..Looks like oil??

Last edited by a moderator:

Wizardawd

Sugar is sweet......

Don't stop at just the tank and pump, sugar in the tank is sooo nasty, that it usually messes EVERYTHING up. And since you mentioned the smell under the hood, it would be safe to assume that it traveled all the way to the injectors as well. So drop the tank, blow the lines, change filter, remove fuel rail and injectors and inspect it all before you even attempt to start it again.

Also, remove and check your plugs too. If it got to the plugs, you may have more of an issue on your hands than you think. Remember the biggest issue with sugar is that it's in liquid form until it gets to a heat source. IE, fuel pump, valves, injector nozzles, spark plugs, piston rings, etc. where it burns and solidifies. Making a mess. And doing a compression check will let you check for sticking valves, stuck rings, etc.

Wiz

Ok thanks guys. I'll be hitting up the junk yards for a new tank and fuel lines tomorrow. The engine has never ran since it was installed in this car. So hopefully I'll be ok.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned