The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Passed CA Smog Test

Whew, I got another 2 years of not having to worry about the smog nazis. The car kicked ass at the test today. As I do before each official test, I ask my guy to do a pre-test so I won't have any failures (especially gross polluter) on my record.

Here are the numbers:

idle (800 rpm): HC 17 PPM (120 PPM max), CO 0.00% (1.00% max)
2500 rpm: HC 13 PPM (140 PPM max), CO 0.00% (1.00% max)

I'm really stoked that the car is running this clean. Everything is pretty much stock: Evo 3 16G, stock injectors and exhaust, FMIC, K&N filter in can. I just put in a new Denso O2 sensor. It's running on a 4 year old aftermarket cat.

Time to put on the Evo 9 injectors and MAS.

out here in mass my buddy had trouble passing (we had really tough emissions for like 4 years)
he had a datalogger/palm in the car and he disable either cylinder #2 or #2 and #4 he said he forgot. He gave it a couple revs to get it running smoothly and then ran the test and passed with flying colors.
Maybe this will work with you cali guys!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Brunoboy

Quoting ihatefall:
out here in mass my buddy had trouble passing (we had really tough emissions for like 4 years)
he had a datalogger/palm in the car and he disable either cylinder #2 or #2 and #4 he said he forgot. He gave it a couple revs to get it running smoothly and then ran the test and passed with flying colors.

there are other ways around it lol ; ]

Muskrat

Quoting ihatefall:

I bet he's glad these car's don't need to be sniffed in MA anymore.

I am registering my car in a different state to get around the bullshit of CA. I hate California.

deez

Register it in Amador County, they don't require smog checks. Thats my trick /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

you say you hate cali... until you move some place else. YOU CAN NOT BEAT THAT WEATHER!

deez

I'll take Ashland Oregon any day compared to Cali. But I am stuck here

I am military so I register all my cars back home in Indiana (which happens to have no emissions). Been doing it for the last 3 years works like a charm. There is nothing like driving past CHP in a colt with huge FMIC with no front bumper and open downpipe lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

JNR

I have to go to a test only center, ugh.

This county thing, deez...you rent a PO box with address? If you get pulled over, does the officer question why the CDL and registration don't match?

I am still an Indiana Resident and hold an Indiana Liscense so nothing can be done... No PO box my dad still lives back in Indiana so i use his address and he takes care of my registrations. As long as I stay in the military I will be an indiana resident no matter how long I am sationed here.

deez

Well, my mother lives in Pioneer, so I use her PO Box. Now if I get pulled over, I will just tell them her physical address, say that's where I live, and make up some crap as to why I am where I am. Chico is where I live, so I plan to say I am visiting my son who lives there. I just hope they don't want to look under the hood....if so, I am f'ed.

CHP popped my hood on my colt a while back when I had a 50 trim on and a bunch of other stuff and he about sh*t himself. He made all sorts of threats and said I would have to BAR my car. After about 15 mins of sitting in his car he came back up to my car handed me my registration and said have a nice day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

deez

He was going to BAR your car?? So how did you get out of it? Was the 15 minutes in his car including a reach around?

He realized he couldn't do anything...How is going to send me to BAR with Indiana registration? We have no emissions nor modification laws in Indiana. His only response in the end was put an exhaust on this thing

What is BAR?
I am supposedly moving to LA county so I guess I should learn the lingo?

Quoting ihatefall:
What is BAR?
I am supposedly moving to LA county so I guess I should learn the lingo?

Bar is The Bureau of Automotive Repair, they determine that if your car is smog legal or not.

Quoting Damills:
Get ready to hate life....if you have to register your cars in Cali.

haha thats for sure!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned