The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Heater core, Best to go OEM?

Scott Y

I turned on the AC last week and a blast of visible moisture came out of the vents. The windshield has a film on it, and I can smell antifreeze a little bit. The heater core is original, and it's gone 175K miles. It's an unexpected and unglamorus expense, of course, and that makes me cringe at OEM pricing.

JNZ has heater cores for $263. Will I be hating life if I go non-OEM?

slobra

I bought a used one off a member for like $20 shipped and has worked great since.

Barnes

Used route is excellent if you know it is working good.

Other option is a Carquest heater core for example. I paid $100 for mine and it put out even more heat than the stoker. However, not sure if it was a bad core, it developed a pin hole leak in the end tank.

I replaced it with a good used core and it is still going strong.

JNR

While not for the galant, I've had good luck with aftermarket heater cores. IIRC, got mine from NAPA, which *usually* sells pretty good stuff; a little more than autozone and stuff, but for stuff like this, it's worth it to me.

Factory stuff is not always the best and surely not the cheapest!

Terry Posten

I would not hesitate to use an aftermarket unit.

BoostedAWD91

from personal experience u want to stick with OEM. Your best bet is to find a good used one unless u wanna fork out $300 for a new one. I dont have to good of heat and i didnt want spend that much on a new OEM one so i went and bought one from the auto parts store for $100 i belive it was. It was not the exact same specs as the oem one as it did not fit in the heater core case. I had to leave some clamps off and really force it to even get it to come close to getting the case closed. The OEM heater cores have a foam insulation wrapped around the core and the aftermarket ones do not. They give u a big strip of it that is peel and stick but u cant use it anyways cause or you'll never get the case closed. After all of that too, it didnt even really work to great, i still dont have much heat. So i would ONLY use OEM. FYI, 1G DSM's use the same heater core, just case it alitle different so if u cant find one from a galant u can use a DSM one

Barnes

In response to BoostedAWD91's post: My core from CarQuest was not a 100% match to the OEM core. It did however fit okay after you arranged the supplied foam strip properly.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts