The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cams wont turn just budge...

Diego

Hello all as Im tired of looking at my pretty lawn ornament i have begun timing yesterday and trying to finish today.... my one problem is that my exhaust cam will only move one turn and then nothing..... then same with intake.... any solution??? any help will be greatly appreciated with me showing up to the midwest meet to thank all of you..........

hit up my cell 712-389-4004

thanks Diego /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Terry Posten

You can't spin the cams with the crank not spinning also. The valves will hit the pistons.

The best way to get them to TDC is to remove at the cam caps so the cams are not pushing the valves and then spin the motor to TDC by watching the crank pulley timing mark. Then rotate the cams, with being bolted down, until the dowels are straight up. Then bolt down following the torque patterns and torque specs.

Then install the timing belt and tension properly.

If you have never done a T-belt job (with or without the b-shaft belt), get help the first time from someone that has done it before. You don't want to mess that up.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Another way to do it is to turn the crank bakc 90* or so, and then set both cams dowel up, and then turn the crank back to tdc. Thatw ay you don't have to worry abuot bleeding the lifters back down or anything.

I called and talked to him awhile ago, and it sounds like he's got teh vfaq open, and he's gonna have it running here shortly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Diego

thanx both.... just gettin the priming done on the oil and will let it sit for about 15mins (toybreaker) and then see how she'll turn.... hope for the best it looks to be on the up and up so far.... cant wait to just go down the block in her again......WHOOOOOSH. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

Diego

running into a problem..... cant fully get the belt onto all the pullies.... there is alot of tension did i surpass something to let loose tension???

toybreaker

iconoclast
Did you loosen the tensioner pulley and let it relax before trying to put the belt on?

If you didn't loosen it, it'll still be adjusted for the previous belt, and it'll be a tight squeeze to get the belt on that way.

Try positioning the tensioner pulley with both holes down, and try it again.

Good luck!

turbowop

Quoting Diego:
running into a problem..... cant fully get the belt onto all the pullies.... there is alot of tension did i surpass something to let loose tension???

I thought this was your third timing belt job?

Diego

ya i found out my problem it was me being stupid along with my brother just not catching it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif.......... its okay she's sitting now lettin her relax after a long timing job....... jesus its hot out today..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Diego

AND WE HAVE A RUNNING 1309/2000................see yall at the midwest meet!!!!!!!!!!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
Well done! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Wow, these posts are all dated the same day. From non-running to running VR4 in the same day is a miracle.

Rausch? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

Diego

and then i get to throw in this........................ It lasted 30-40 miles......... Timing is still on motor is strong........ What's wrong now?............ oh ya my Transfer Case locks up on the Highway........WTF how the hell does this happen someone chime in with some support im frusted as hell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Diego

but Wop i never drained it....... but i nvr did check that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif..... i mean i was cruising 65mph 3k rmps and i get a shake and tires lock up and come loose..... i let it engine brake down and give it a little more gas and the rears lock up and i pull to the side in a hurried fashion........... WHY DO I HAVE TO OWN THE DEVILS CAR?

Rausch

Quoting iceman69510:
Wow, these posts are all dated the same day. From non-running to running VR4 in the same day is a miracle.

Rausch? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif No comment. How's that 2.4 coming along? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Diego

So what the heck someone back me on this..... (if im right) my older brother found a local 577/2000 says that when i timed my motor i needed to time my Xcase? WTF???!!!?? WTH does timing my motor that NOW runs (/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) have to do with my X-Case? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif someone chime in TIA!

Terry Posten

Yeah, and you need to replace the muffler bearing while you are at it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

The tcase is very easily ran out of fluid. It only holds a quart. The output seal is prone to leaking.

Mine locked up when my fill bolt fell out.

Call Mark at AMS in Chi-town and get one of his spares. He has something like 20 of them.

It is real easy to replace. Fill with heavy-duty shock proof. That stuff is thick and does not leak out like the rest of the stuff and will help it last longer. While you are at it, fill the rear diff up with it also.

Check the tranny as well but DO NOT use shock proof. Use Pennzoil syncromech or other approved fluid.

Diego

Quoting 1457gvr4:
Somebody is high.

Exactly what i was saying......... i knew i was right. well my older brother just put a dwn payment on 577/2000.... will load pics of that.... i will get at mark and see what he has....... Kevin Jones has one that he'll let go for a $100 so i think i might just pick that up along with the Dogleg.......

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned